Self-Portrait: Jamie Lidell
Lidell Provides Five Personal Things and Takes Photos of Himself
When we asked Jamie Lidell to take a self-portrait, he provided several. We also asked him to write a list of personal things-interesting facts that perhaps Lidell's fans may not know about him. Earlier this year the British soul singer/songwriter/musician released his latest album, simply titled Jamie Lidell, on Warp. He's currently based in Nashville.
1. Me love coffee. I like to sparkle hardy when I party and so I need a heavy jolting sometimes. The java is getting real fancy these days and I fall for all of the expensive games they play with us. Yeah, I can't shake that hipster thing! Four Barrel, Grumpy, Barista Parlor in Nashville. The list goes on and on. Junky needing fixing!
2. I don't drive. Well that's not strictly true. I passed my test when I was a yoot but I haven't driven a car in ages. I gotta admit that the thought of it sorta makes me nervous now. My wife jokes with me that I'm getting myself all psyched up about jumping into the shallow end of the pool! Soon enough I'll be ripping up the tarmac with the beema! For now it's bike 'n' trike.
3. I really can't see. I dunno, what with all this hipster talk I think maybe some think I use these damn frames as a hot fashion prop. It's all right to wear specs but I don't like those fakers. I am -4.75 in each eye. My sister's -8! That girl is blind! Bats use sonar to see. Sometimes I like to wander about blind and get my haze on. That's one advantage of being a little blind. You can get a fuzz on at any time. Take the edge off. Remember Photoshop? Gaussian blur all the way!
4. I cook a mean dish or three. Yeah. I can rip it up, pan the flour. Rustle you up a nice bit of nosh, make you something pretty damn tasty by now me can. All this home living got me up to speed in and around the kitchen. Steaming. Super fry guy. All that. Taste. Vienna. Come and feast. Bonne banquet.
5. I workout with Harmony Korine and Eddie George. I ain't exactly a Heisman Trophy candidate but Eddie treats me like one. He's a damn fine gent and Harmony's a nutter. He's the only guy I've seen puke and get right back to working out. He actually likes it! Nashville. Home of the purge!
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring SBTRKT, Wild Beasts, Flying Lotus, and More (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist, Fear of Men, Jessie Ware, Zola Jesus, SBTRKT, Caribou, Cloud Nothings, Sharon Van Etten, Peaking Lights, Beat Connection, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, The Twilight Sad, Jungle
- Listen: Jessie Ware - “Say You Love Me” (Gorgon Remix) (News) — Jessie Ware
- Jarvis Cocker Writes Essay Supporting Upcoming People’s Climate March (News) — Jarvis Cocker
- Pleased to Meet You Spotlight: The Death of Pop (Interview) — The Death of Pop
- Terry Gilliam Describes How The Zero Theorem Almost Ended (Spoiler Warning) (News) — Terry Gilliam