2010 Artist Survey Bonus Answers: Justin Vernon of Bon Iver & Gayngs
Dec 14, 2010
For Under the Radar’s 8th annual Artist Survey we emailed some of our favorite artists a few questions relating to 2010. However our printed pages weren’t enough to hold all the great responses we got. Pick up a copy of Under the Radar’s Year End issue for interviews with: The Antlers, Bon Iver, Caribou, Club 8, Delphic, Rose Elinor Dougall, Gayngs, Hot Chip, Lost in the Trees, Love is All, The Love Language, Mogwai, of Montreal, Okkervil River,Yoko Ono, Owen Pallett, Plants and Animals, Mark Ronson, Superchunk, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Sharon Van Etten, and Vivian Girls. Then check here for bonus responses not found in the magazine. Here are additional answers from from Justin Vernon of Bon Iver & Gayngs.
Who would you rather listen to—a totally original musician whose compositions are groundbreaking but difficult to listen to or a musician whose songs are immediately enjoyable but derivative? Why?
I think everyone that wants to listen to Gayngs should and they shouldn’t judge the keyboard sound because someone’s older brother once said that, ‘that is a dumb keyboard sound, this shit sucks.’
If you could relive one day of your life, which would it be?
The day the Gayngs record came out. You can imagine what it was like, around say, 4, 4:30 in the afternoon.
What or whom do you miss most when you’re touring?
Joey ‘Squints’ Westerlund. He’s the drummer in Gayngs and my bandmate since I was 12.
What moment made you maddest in 2010?
People who hate Gayngs.
- Frank and Lola (Review) —
- Watch Fiona Apple Sing Her New Song “Trump’s Nuts Roasting on an Open Fire” (News) — Fiona Apple
- Watch: TOY - “Another Dimension” Video Clear Shot (News) — TOY
- Everything Love Is (Review) —
- Marfa Myths 2017 Lineup: Weyes Blood + Perfume Genius and “Stranger Things” Score Live (News) — Connan Mockasin, Perfume Genius, S U R V I V E, Weyes Blood, Cate Le Bon, Jenny Hval, Julia Holter