Das Racist Break Up
Two Mixtapes and One Album Later
New York hip-hop trio Das Racist announced over the weekend that they have ended as a band. The group was scheduled to perform this past Saturday at the On3 Festival in Munich. Member Heems (a.k.a. Himanshu Suri) instead stepped onstage to play a solo set. Word of the break-up came when Heems addressed the crowd: "You guys wanna know the secret? Alright, so I'm going to do some Das Racist songs, but Das Racist is breaking up and we're not a band anymore."
Shortly after the announcement member Kool A.D. confirmed the news on his Twitter account, writing, "for the record i quit das racist 2 months ago and was asked by our manager not to announce it yet. apparently @himanshu wanted to do it tho."
Speaking with Spin, Dapwell, the group's third member addressed the matter with a little more detail, "I was bummed when we actually broke up, when it was done, mostly because it was a way to make money really easily. Now, I probably won’t be able to make money that easily ever again,” he said. “But we had a plan to break up around May. We had just signed this record deal and we were going to put out one proper album and then go on a farewell tour, release a proper breaking up statement that could have been really funny, maybe a weird, stupid video. Now, all of that has gone to shit."
Releasing two mixtapes in 2010, Shut Up, Dude and Sit Down, Man, followed by their proper debut Relax in 2011, the group showed signs of its end throughout the year when Heems and Kool A.D. each released two solo mixtapes.
- Frank and Lola (Review) —
- Watch Fiona Apple Sing Her New Song “Trump’s Nuts Roasting on an Open Fire” (News) — Fiona Apple
- Watch: TOY - “Another Dimension” Video Clear Shot (News) — TOY
- Everything Love Is (Review) —
- Marfa Myths 2017 Lineup: Weyes Blood + Perfume Genius and “Stranger Things” Score Live (News) — Connan Mockasin, Perfume Genius, S U R V I V E, Weyes Blood, Cate Le Bon, Jenny Hval, Julia Holter