Elvis Costello on Bobby Womack
Elvis Costello Performs Tonight at Festival International de Jazz de Montreal
Earlier today, Elvis Costello was awarded the Festival International de Jazz de Montreal Spirit award, a distinction shared with the likes of Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Lenoard Cohen, and Stevie Wonder. During the press conference that followed, Costello took the opportunity to weigh in on the death of Bobby Womack, who passed away Friday night at the age of 70.
“It seems like album everyday there’s somebody who takes your breath away to know that we don’t have them,” said Costello. “Bobby Womack, it’s astonishing that he was only 70, because of the breadth and length of his career.”
Costello went on to recall meeting Womack shortly before he joined Gorillaz onstage at Glastonbury in 2010. “The last thing he said as I was leaving, ‘We’ve got to do something before it’s over.’ I said to him—and I’m so glad I said these words, ‘Bobby, it’s never over.’”
- CHVRCHES Working on Third Album with Dave Stewart of Eurythmics (News) — CHVRCHES, Dave Stewart, Eurythmics
- Detective Comics Vol. 1: Rise of the Batmen (Review) — DC Comics
- Listen: The New Pornographers - “This Is the World of the Theater” (News) — Neko Case, The New Pornographers
- Watch Los Campesinos! As Daytime TV Contestants in “5 Flucloxacillin” Video (News) — Los Campesinos!
- Listen: Robyn Hitchcock - “Mad Shelley’s Letterbox” (News) — Robyn Hitchcock