Future Islands, Mac DeMarco, Lauryn Hill, Miley Cyrus, and Sadie Dupuis Do Christmas Songs
Some Covers, Some Originals (+LCD Soundsystem and Will Butler)
We here at Under the Radar are taking most of Christmas and New Year's off. It's the one time of the year the music industry truly shuts down and there's little to no music news to post. Still, on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after Christmas (aka Boxing Day), a few notable artists posted some Christmas songs (some covers, some originals) that we didn't have a chance to post and they are collected here.
Future Islands covered Wham's "Last Christmas." Mac DeMarco covered the Irving Berlin/Bing Crosby classic "White Christmas" (which was re-titled "White Christma$" and accompanied by the above image of Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace covered in Christmas lights). Lauryn Hill covered Nat King Cole's "A Cradle in Bethlehem." Miley Cyrus (with a little help from The Flaming Lips) put out the original track, "My Sad Christmas Song." Then Sadie Dupuis of Speedy Ortiz shared an equally depressing original, a demo entitled "Krampus in Love." Then LCD Soundsystem and Will Butler released two original Christmas songs ("Christmas Will Break Your Heart" and "City on a Hill"), both which we already posted, but are below again as well.
- Premiere: Surfer Blood – “Frozen” (News) — Surfer Blood
- Fiona Apple and Michael Whalen Share New Anti-Trump Song - “Tiny Hands” (News) — Fiona Apple, Michael Whalen
- The New Pornographers Announce Tour Dates and Will Be Releasing a New Album This Year (News) — The New Pornographers, Waxahatchee
- Listen: Dutch Uncles - “Oh Yeah” (News) — Dutch Uncles
- Under the Radar’s 15th Anniversary: Andrew W.K.‘s “I Get Wet” (News) — Andrew W.K.