Genius + Pop = Yo La Tengo
New Jersey Rockers to Release Popular Songs September 8th
Earlier today, the Matador Records blog announced that New Jersey rockers Yo La Tengo will be releasing their new album, Popular Songs, on September 8th. The band’s output has traditionally consisted of grandiose long players which embraced all in its sight from noise rock to electronica to folk, but Popular Songs is meant to inhabit a slightly different realm.
Recorded in Hoboken and Nashville this year, the band worked again with producer Roger Mountenot. According to the blog, the band is at times almost easy to miss as they work to absorb themselves into “rock & pop subgenres”—whatever that means, right? You can preview a track right now through a download available on the blog page.
In the coming days, Matador will be releasing more information on the album as well as a “Buy Early Get Now campaign” for Popular Songs.
- Watch: Bat For Lashes - “Sunday Love” Video (News) — Bat For Lashes
- Listen: Swans - “When Will I Return” (News) — Swans
- Four Tet Shares New Song with Impossibly Long Title in Honor of SoundCloud Milestone (News) — Four Tet
- Feist Covers The Tragically Hip’s “Flamenco” in Honor of Terminally Ill Frontman Gord Downie (News) — Feist, Gord Downie, Broken Social Scene, Kevin Drew, The Tragically Hip
- Watch/Listen: Garbage - “Even Though Our Love Is Doomed” Lyric Video (News) — Garbage