Genius + Pop = Yo La Tengo
New Jersey Rockers to Release Popular Songs September 8th
Earlier today, the Matador Records blog announced that New Jersey rockers Yo La Tengo will be releasing their new album, Popular Songs, on September 8th. The band’s output has traditionally consisted of grandiose long players which embraced all in its sight from noise rock to electronica to folk, but Popular Songs is meant to inhabit a slightly different realm.
Recorded in Hoboken and Nashville this year, the band worked again with producer Roger Mountenot. According to the blog, the band is at times almost easy to miss as they work to absorb themselves into “rock & pop subgenres”—whatever that means, right? You can preview a track right now through a download available on the blog page.
In the coming days, Matador will be releasing more information on the album as well as a “Buy Early Get Now campaign” for Popular Songs.
- Watch: Tegan and Sara - “BWU” Video (News) — Tegan and Sara
- Oasis Announce Deluxe Reissue of “Be Here Now,” Share New Mix of “D’You Know What I Mean?” (News) — Oasis
- Keegan-Michael Key and Mike Birbiglia on “Don’t Think Twice” (Interview) — Keegan-Michael Key, Mike Birbiglia
- The Walkmen’s Hamilton Leithauser and Vampire Weekend’s Rostam Team Up for New Song - “A 1000 Times” (News) — Hamilton Leithauser, Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, Rostam Batmanlij, The Walkmen, Vampire Weekend
- Listen: Chairlift Share Brand New Song - “Get Real” (News) — Chairlift