Jason Bateman Revels Details of New Season of Arrested Development
A Perfect Interconnecting World
Arrested Development Fans have been in a tizzy since the announcement that the show will return as a season on Netflix and a movie. We cried when we found out Steve Holt wouldn’t be returning. We laughed when Netflix launched a series of entries for the fake shows featured within Arrested Development. (Who wouldn’t want to stream Les Cousins Dangereux?) Now, thanks to a GQ interview with Jason Bateman, we have a few solid facts about the series' forthcoming return.
As reveled by the actor, a movie was always part of series creator Mitch Hurwitz’ master plan. The final season of the series came into being as a way to fill in the characters’ backstory since we last saw the Bluths.
“The last line of the last episode of Arrested Development was Ron Howard saying to Maeby—she's pitching him a show about her family at Imagine—and he says to her, ‘No, I don't see it as a series. Maybe a movie!’ And then the screen goes black,” says Bateman.
As for the series leading up to the movie? Each episode will be centered on a single character from the show. But—as Bateman says—they won’t be stand-alone stories.
“The action in these fourteen episodes happens simultaneously,” he notes. “Each character has their own episode. There’s a Michael episode, a Gob episode, a Lindsay episode, a Maeby episode. And the action across the episodes is happening simultaneously. If I’m driving down the street in my episode and Gob’s going down the sidewalk on his Segway, you could stop my episode, go into his episode, and follow him and see where he’s going. It’s not exactly like a Choose Your Own Adventure type of thing, but Mitch has written these episodes exclusively for the distribution platform and format of Netflix, knowing that they were all going to be released, like an album, on the same day.”
Check out the full interview here.
- 2013 Artist Survey: ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead (Interview) — …And You Will Know us by the Trail of Dead, Artist Surveys 2013
- 2013 Artist Survey: World’s End Press (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2013, World’s End Press
- Announcing the Under the Radar App - The New Interactive Digital Magazine (News) —
- 2013 Artist Survey: The Spook School (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2013, The Spook School
- Listen: Tame Impala - “Backwards” (feat. Kendrick Lamar) (News) — Tame Impala