Jason Bateman Revels Details of New Season of Arrested Development
A Perfect Interconnecting World
Arrested Development Fans have been in a tizzy since the announcement that the show will return as a season on Netflix and a movie. We cried when we found out Steve Holt wouldn’t be returning. We laughed when Netflix launched a series of entries for the fake shows featured within Arrested Development. (Who wouldn’t want to stream Les Cousins Dangereux?) Now, thanks to a GQ interview with Jason Bateman, we have a few solid facts about the series' forthcoming return.
As reveled by the actor, a movie was always part of series creator Mitch Hurwitz’ master plan. The final season of the series came into being as a way to fill in the characters’ backstory since we last saw the Bluths.
“The last line of the last episode of Arrested Development was Ron Howard saying to Maeby—she's pitching him a show about her family at Imagine—and he says to her, ‘No, I don't see it as a series. Maybe a movie!’ And then the screen goes black,” says Bateman.
As for the series leading up to the movie? Each episode will be centered on a single character from the show. But—as Bateman says—they won’t be stand-alone stories.
“The action in these fourteen episodes happens simultaneously,” he notes. “Each character has their own episode. There’s a Michael episode, a Gob episode, a Lindsay episode, a Maeby episode. And the action across the episodes is happening simultaneously. If I’m driving down the street in my episode and Gob’s going down the sidewalk on his Segway, you could stop my episode, go into his episode, and follow him and see where he’s going. It’s not exactly like a Choose Your Own Adventure type of thing, but Mitch has written these episodes exclusively for the distribution platform and format of Netflix, knowing that they were all going to be released, like an album, on the same day.”
Check out the full interview here.
- Andrew Bird Announces New Album, Shares “Capsized,” Performs on “Conan” (News) — Andrew Bird
- Plants and Animals Announce New Album, Share “Stay” (News) — Plants and Animals
- The Monkees Announce New Album with Songs by Ben Gibbard, Rivers Cuomo, Noel Gallagher, and More (News) — Benjamin Gibbard, Carole King, Death Cab for Cutie, Fountains of Wayne, Oasis, Noel Gallagher, Rogue Wave, Harry Nilsson, Neil Diamond, The Monkees
- The End: Richard Hawley on Endings and Death (Interview) — Richard Hawley
- 2015 Artist Survey: Ultimate Painting (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2015, Mazes, Ultimate Painting