Jeff Mangum, Members of Sonic Youth and TV on the Radio To Perform Occupy Wall Street Telethon
To Raise $50,000 For Strike Debt
After making a surprise appearance at Zuccotti Park last year, performing for the members of the Occupy Wall Street movement, Neutral Milk Hotel's Jeff Mangum has joined forced with Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo, Fugazi's Guy Picciotto, and TV on the Radio's Tunde Adebimpe to take part in a special Occupy telethon on Nov. 15.
Streaming performances via webcast from New York City's Le Poisson Rouge, the event, titled "The People's Bailout," will seek to raise $50,000 for the Occupy-based organization Strike Debt, a campaign "which emerged out of Occupy Wall Street and is dedicated to raising public awareness about predatory debt practices, debt resistance and mutual aid."
Other activists joining the event are comedians Janeane Garofalo, Max Silvestri, and Hari Kondabolu, "Daily Show" co-creator Lizz Winstead, professor and author Frances Fox Piven, and many others. Tickets go on sale Friday, Nov. 2 at 10 a.m.
- Local Natives Share “Past Lives,” First New Song in Three Years (News) — Local Natives
- Listen: Bob Dylan - “All the Way” (Frank Sinatra Cover) (News) — Bob Dylan
- Listen to Frightened Rabbit Cover Bruce Springsteen’s “Streets of Philadelphia” on SiriusXM (News) — Frightened Rabbit
- Braids Announce EP and Tour Dates, Share “Companion” Video (News) — BRAIDS
- Listen: The Raveonettes - “Junko Ozawa” (News) — The Raveonettes