Karen O Contributes Song to “Frankenweenie” Soundtrack
Also Passion Pit, Robert Smith, and Mark Foster
No stranger to contributing music for films, having done so for Spike Jonze and his adaptation of Where the Wild Things Are, Yeah Yeah Yeahs frontwoman Karen O has written an original song for the animated Tim Burton film Frankenweenie which comes to theaters on Oct. 5. The track, entitled "Strange Love," is joined by a roster of heavy-hitting musical talent, including the likes of Passion Pit, Neon Trees, Foster the People's Mark Foster, Grace Potter with The Flaming Lips, and even Robert Smith.
In an interview with Rolling Stone Karen O said that “Tim [Burton] wanted an unconventional unconditional love song. My music inspiration came out of the same era of B movie fright film references sprinkled throughout the film. I went in the direction of exotica and calypso stylistically because it's quirky, good vibes music of that era and when you throw in a theramin solo it's a marriage made in heaven. I remember Beetlejuice introducing me to the genius of Harry Belafonte's calypso record so I wanted to give a nod to that too. We ended up with a love song for the end of the film to the film! Frankenweenie is so special, it's an unbelievable honor to be involved with it.”
You can view the view tracklist of the soundtrack Frankenweenie Unleashed! below. It arrives Sept. 25 via Disney. You can listen to "Strange Love," on Pitchfork.
Karen O - "Strange Love"
Neon Trees - "Electric Heart (Stay Forever)"
Mark Foster - "Polartropic (You Don't Understand Me)"
Passion Pit - "Almost There"
Plain White T's - "Pet Sematary"
Kimbra - "With My Hands"
AWOLNATION - "Everybody's Got a Secret"
Kerli - "Immortal"
Grace Potter feat. the Flaming Lips - "My Mechanical Friend"
Imagine Dragons - "Lost Cause"
Grouplove - "Underground"
Skylar Grey - "Building a Monster"
Robert Smith - "Witchcraft"
Winona Ryder - "Praise Be New Holland"
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring SBTRKT, Wild Beasts, Flying Lotus, and More (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist, Fear of Men, Jessie Ware, Zola Jesus, SBTRKT, Caribou, Cloud Nothings, Sharon Van Etten, Peaking Lights, Beat Connection, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, The Twilight Sad, Jungle
- Listen: Jessie Ware - “Say You Love Me” (Gorgon Remix) (News) — Jessie Ware
- Jarvis Cocker Writes Essay Supporting Upcoming People’s Climate March (News) — Jarvis Cocker
- Pleased to Meet You Spotlight: The Death of Pop (Interview) — The Death of Pop
- Terry Gilliam Describes How The Zero Theorem Almost Ended (Spoiler Warning) (News) — Terry Gilliam