Listen: The Flaming Lips Release Their Six-Hour Song
Now With Added Gadgets
Today, The Flaming Lips unleashed their six-hour song "I Found a Star on the Ground" to the masses. That’s it below—broken into three parts—should you want to take a listen.
The song comes with a cool toy if you buy it in physical form. “What it is, it’s a little thing that spins with these little drawings on them and as it spins you put this strobe light on it and it makes these little animations come to life on this disc, bandleader Wayne Coyne told Under the Radar. “And we know it’s really made for kids but we sort of took it and made it our own little thing, our own little device, that we sort of feel people will use when they’re tripping or something. It’s all just having fun, but part of me thought why do we make a song that lasts for as long as you want to play with this toy. We claim that this toy will offer hours of entertainment so we thought we don’t we make a song that lasts for hours. I don’t know why we picked six. It sounded like a cool title.”
- Angel Olsen Shares New Song, “Fly on Your Wall,” For “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Trump Project (News) — Angel Olsen
- “1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs” 4-Year Anti-Trump Project Launches with R.E.M. Track (News) — 1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs, Dave Eggers, R.E.M.
- 2016 Artist Survey: Katie Stelmanis of Austra (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2016, Austra
- ACLU Benefit Comp Features New Mount Eerie and The Pains of Being Pure At Heart Songs, and More (News) — Mount Eerie, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Surfer Blood, Dean & Britta
- “Battle Hymns” Charity Protest Comp Features Stephen Malkmus, Carl Newman, and Carrie Brownstein (News) — Stephen Merchant, Pavement, The New Pornographers, Built to Spill, Carrie Brownstein, Sleater-Kinney, Superchunk, Quasi, Corin Tucker Band