Listen to Conor Oberst on Marc Maron’s “WTF” Podcast
Talks About Songwriting, Bob Dylan, and False Rape Accusation
Earlier today Bright Eyes' Conor Oberst appeared on Marc Maron's WTF podcast. In addition to performing "Common Knowledge" from his latest album Upside Down Mountain Oberst spoke at length about growing up in Omaha, NE, getting compared to Bob Dylan ("In music journalist shorthand, that's kind of like, code for 'they have a lot of words in their songs'"), and the process of songwriting. Maron also got Oberst to briefly talk about last year's false rape accusation. Describing the incident as "very surreal" and "like the world was upside down for little bit," Oberst said the internet feeding frenzy was like "a game of telephone that goes on."
Oberst went on to add, "I want to put it in perspective because I think about all the many African-American men who are in prisons right now for crimes they didn't commit, and for actual victims of sexual assault that it has done the greatest disservice to," he said. "They say one out of four women will experience sexual assault in their lifetime. That's staggering and fucking horrible."
Click here to listen to full interview.
- Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner, and James McAlister Announce Album, Share Video (News) — Bryce Dessner, James McAlister, Nico Muhly, Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner, and James McAlister, Sufjan Stevens
- Whitney Announce 12-Inch, Share Covers of Songs by Dolly Parton and Lion (News) — Whitney, Dolly Parton, Lion
- Multiple Maniacs (Review) — John Waters
- Premiere: The Proper Ornaments Cover The Jesus and Mary Chain’s “Deep One Perfect Morning” (News) — The Proper Ornaments
- Phoenix Announce World Tour, The Lemon Twigs and Whitney to Support Select Dates (News) — Phoenix, Whitney, The Lemon Twigs