Mogwai, Yoko Ono, Patti Smith, Yo La Tengo, Contribute to Occupy Wall Street Compilation
Listen to Mogwai's "Earth Division"
With the recently evicted Occupy Wall Street movement designating May 1 as a date of re-occupation worldwide, fellow organization Music for Occupy has announced the release of a benefit compilation on May 15.
Entitled Occupy This Album, the collection is set to include contributions from Yoko Ono, Patti Smith, Yo La Tengo, Mogawi, Tom Morello, Willie Nelson, Debbie Harry, Ladytron, Thee Oh Sees, even filmmaker Michael Moore performing a cover of Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin" (go ahead and let that last one sink in).
Spanning 78 tracks across four discs, with its digital edition adding in an extra 22 songs, many of the songs are previously unreleased, including Mogwai's featured track "Earth Division," which is available to stream below. On May 8 The City Winery in New York City will host a special night of performances by participating artists and surprise guests in celebration of the record's release, with tickets including a bottle of the special wine "Occupy This Wine" Cabernet Sauvignon and a free copy of Occupy This Album.
- Angel Olsen Shares New Song, “Fly on Your Wall,” For “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Trump Project (News) — Angel Olsen
- “1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs” 4-Year Anti-Trump Project Launches with R.E.M. Track (News) — 1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs, Dave Eggers, R.E.M.
- 2016 Artist Survey: Katie Stelmanis of Austra (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2016, Austra
- ACLU Benefit Comp Features New Mount Eerie and The Pains of Being Pure At Heart Songs, and More (News) — Mount Eerie, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Surfer Blood, Dean & Britta
- “Battle Hymns” Charity Protest Comp Features Stephen Malkmus, Carl Newman, and Carrie Brownstein (News) — Stephen Merchant, Pavement, The New Pornographers, Built to Spill, Carrie Brownstein, Sleater-Kinney, Superchunk, Quasi, Corin Tucker Band