Premiere: Rupa and the April Fishes – “gone”
Build Streets October 2
Today we’ve got a new track to premiere from San Francisco-based, Hindi/ Tzotzil/ French band, Rupa and the April Fishes. “gone” is a down and dirty R&B barn barnburner—think Amy Winehouse after a college gap year spent traveling the world.
“We recorded the drums on this tune and the kick drum was too straight,” reveals frontwoman Rupa. “[Producer] Todd Sickafoose gave me 10 minutes during a break to figure out a new sound that I thought would fit better with sound engineer Scott McDowell. He stepped away and when he returned, he found me stomping out the kick drum on a turned over bedside table and several mics to pick up the different tones that came from the impact of my footsteps. The fun we had in the studio making this album—the whole process felt open, exploratory and deeply collaborative. The sound of a heart breaking, door shutting, footsteps walking away for the very last time. Anything that was not an instrument yet could still make sound in the studio was employed in making the rhythm track for this tune. Plastic bags, a bedside table, even a 2 month old child.”
If you like what you hear, their new album BUILD streets October 2.
- Check Out Photos of Perfume Genius, Iceage and More at Le Guess Who (News) — Bonnie “Prince” Billy, Brandt Brauer Frick, Iceage, Dean Blunt, Le Guess Who? 2014, Le Guess Who? 2014: Day Two, Perfume Genius
- Watch: The Decembrists Preview Music Video for “Make You Better,” Starring Nick Offerman (News) — The Decemberists
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Perfume Genius, Flying Lotus, and Colleen Green (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Watch: Sky Ferreira Cover Hole’s “Asking For It” With DIIV’s Zachary Cole (News) — Sky Ferreira
- It Happened One Night Blu-ray (Review) —