Premiere: Rupa and the April Fishes – “gone”
Build Streets October 2
Today we’ve got a new track to premiere from San Francisco-based, Hindi/ Tzotzil/ French band, Rupa and the April Fishes. “gone” is a down and dirty R&B barn barnburner—think Amy Winehouse after a college gap year spent traveling the world.
“We recorded the drums on this tune and the kick drum was too straight,” reveals frontwoman Rupa. “[Producer] Todd Sickafoose gave me 10 minutes during a break to figure out a new sound that I thought would fit better with sound engineer Scott McDowell. He stepped away and when he returned, he found me stomping out the kick drum on a turned over bedside table and several mics to pick up the different tones that came from the impact of my footsteps. The fun we had in the studio making this album—the whole process felt open, exploratory and deeply collaborative. The sound of a heart breaking, door shutting, footsteps walking away for the very last time. Anything that was not an instrument yet could still make sound in the studio was employed in making the rhythm track for this tune. Plastic bags, a bedside table, even a 2 month old child.”
If you like what you hear, their new album BUILD streets October 2.
- Listen: Gorillaz - “The Apprentice” (Featuring Rag’n'Bone Man, Zebra Katz, and RAY BLK) (News) — Damon Albarn, Gorillaz, Rag‘n’Bone Man, RAY BLK, Zebra Katz
- Beach Fossils Share New Song “Silver Tongue” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Beach Fossils, Our First 100 Days
- How to Dress Well Shares “Strong Enuff (Sheryl Crow Cover)” for Anti-Trump “Our First 100 Days” (News) — How to Dress Well, Our First 100 Days, Sheryl Crow
- Ty Segall Shares “Break a Guitar” Video Feat. Fred Armisen, Jack Black, and Henry Rollins (News) — Ty Segall
- HAIM Share Another Drum-Tastic Teaser Video Promising Something Is Happening on Thursday (News) — HAIM