Premiere: Rupa and the April Fishes – “gone”
Build Streets October 2
Today we’ve got a new track to premiere from San Francisco-based, Hindi/ Tzotzil/ French band, Rupa and the April Fishes. “gone” is a down and dirty R&B barn barnburner—think Amy Winehouse after a college gap year spent traveling the world.
“We recorded the drums on this tune and the kick drum was too straight,” reveals frontwoman Rupa. “[Producer] Todd Sickafoose gave me 10 minutes during a break to figure out a new sound that I thought would fit better with sound engineer Scott McDowell. He stepped away and when he returned, he found me stomping out the kick drum on a turned over bedside table and several mics to pick up the different tones that came from the impact of my footsteps. The fun we had in the studio making this album—the whole process felt open, exploratory and deeply collaborative. The sound of a heart breaking, door shutting, footsteps walking away for the very last time. Anything that was not an instrument yet could still make sound in the studio was employed in making the rhythm track for this tune. Plastic bags, a bedside table, even a 2 month old child.”
If you like what you hear, their new album BUILD streets October 2.
- Record Store Day Round-Up (News) — Record Store Day
- Listen: Jamie xx- “Girl” (News) — Jamie xx
- Prince Announces New Deal with Warner Bros., Reissue of “Purple Rain” (News) — Prince
- Check out Photos of Beck, Arcade Fire, Blood Orange and More at Coachella Weekend One (News) — Coachella 2014, Coachella 2014: Weekend 1
- Premiere: Marnie – “Hearts On Fire” Video (News) — Marnie