The Slits Reunite, Retool For Trapped Animal
Narnack Releases The New Album October 6th
For 30 years, The Slits proved to be a curious, tangled enigma of London's punk and dub roots, largely due to their truncated discography. Cut (1979) is still a classic of the genre and set the stage for riot grrl acts to come. After Cut, the band released one more album, 1981's Return of the Giant Slits, and then disappeared. Well, not exactly. During the seminal group's 25 year hiatus, frontwoman Ari Up performed as the infamous Ragga Queen Mad-dusa, and original bassist Tessa Pollitt molded herself into a martial arts machine (and mother of several equally badass children).
In 2006, Up reunited with Pollitt and started playing a few shows as The Slits again. The only recorded output of their reunion has been a severly truncated, three-song EP, called Revenge of the Giant Slits. On October 6th, The Slits will finally end that silence with their third full-length, Trapped Animal. Narnack is releasing the group's first album in 25 years! That's hardly anything to sniff at folks.
The latest version of The Slits is multi-generational. The current lineup features O.G.'s Up and Pollitt, alongside newcomers Hollie Cook (daughter of Sex Pistols drummer Paul Cook), Anna Schlute, and Adele Wilson. If an album just won't cut your thirst for more Slits, a book about the band, Typical Girls? The Story Of The Slits, penned by Zoe Street Howe, is slated for release in the fall. The very atypical Slits are also headlining London's Offset Festival, alongside fellow punk mavens A Certain Ratio. And just because it's still really cool, here's the original (slightly warbled) MTV clip for "Typical Girls." Trapped Animal's tracklist is below.
01 Ask Ma
02 Lazy Slam
03 Pay Rent
05 Trapped Animals
07 Peer Pressure
08 Partner From Hell
10 Cry Baby
11 Reggae Gypsy
12 Be It
13 Can't Relate
14 Had a Day
- Toro y Moi Surprise Releases Free New 20-Track Collection, “Samantha” (News) — Toro y Moi
- Listen: Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds - “Here’s a Candle (For Your Birthday Cake)” (News) — Noel Gallagher
- Listen: Gwenno - “Patriarchaeth (Ewan Pearson Remix)” (News) — Gwenno
- Listen: The Invisible - “Easy Now” (News) — The Invisible
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist With CHVRCHES, Foals, Toro y Moi, Yumi Zouma, & Superchunk (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist