Under the Radar Announces Two SXSW Day Parties, Atlas Sound’s Only SXSW Set
Okkervil River Headlines Friday; The Dears, Owen Pallett, The Dodos, Menomena, Surfer Blood, Telekinesis, and more to also play
Under the Radar magazine is excited to reveal the full lineups, posters, and set times for its two SXSW day parties, taking place on Thursday, March 17th and Friday, March 18th. The Thursday party, which is presented by JanSport, will feature the only SXSW 2011 performance by Atlas Sound (aka Deerhunter's Bradford Cox), who will be headlining. The rest of Thursday's lineup includes The Dears, The Dodos, Sondre Lerche, Yuck, Violens, and Lord Huron.
The Friday party, which is presented by Shure, will be headlined by Okkervil River. Friday's lineup is rounded out by Owen Pallett, Menomena, Telekinesis, Surfer Blood, Hooray for Earth, and Porcelain Raft.
The parties will happen from 12 - 6 PM at the Flamingo Cantina (515 E. 6th Street, Austin, TX 78701). March 17th also happens to be the birthday of Dears frontman Murray Lightburn and his birthday will be celebrated at the Thursday party. Both events are free and open to the public, no RSVP or badges are required. Other sponsors include Dorado Music Packaging, Motormouthmedia, and Cravedog.
This is the sixth year in a row that Under the Radar has hosted a party at SXSW. The party lineups have slowly been teased in the last week on our website via games of hangman, in which some of the performers were revealed by readers guessing one letter at a time.
JanSport Presents the Under the Radar SXSW Party 2011, Thursday, March 17th:
5:00 PM: Atlas Sound (deerhuntertheband.blogspot.com)
4:05 PM: The Dears (www.thedears.org)
3:15 PM: Lord Huron (www.lordhuron.com)
2:25 PM: Sondre Lerche (www.sondrelerche.com)
1:35 PM: Yuck (yuckband.blogspot.com)
12:45 PM: The Dodos (www.dodosmusic.net)
12:00 PM: Violens (www.violens.net)
Shure Presents the Under the Radar SXSW Party 2011, Friday, March 18th:
5:00 PM: Okkervil River (www.okkervilriver.com)
4:05 PM: Menomena (www.menomena.com)
3:15 PM: Telekinesis (www.telekinesismusic.com)
2:25 PM: Surfer Blood (www.surferblood.com)
1:35 PM: Owen Pallett (www.owenpalletteternal.com)
12:45 PM: Hooray for Earth (www.hoorayforearth.net)
12:00 PM: Porcelain Raft (www.porcelainraft.com)
About Under the Radar: Under the Radar is an internationally distributed indie music print magazine and website that's independently published by husband and wife team Mark and Wendy Redfern. This December it will be celebrating its 10th anniversary. The magazine's Winter 2011 issue is hitting stands this week and features Death Cab for Cutie on the cover in an exclusive in-depth interview about the band's forthcoming new album, Codes and Keys, due out May 31st. The issue also includes interviews with Bright Eyes, British Sea Power, Anna Calvi, The Dears, The Decemberists, Destroyer, The Dodos, Duran Duran, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, Elbow, Iron and Wine, Jens Lekman, Lykke Li, Okkervil River, Panda Bear, Porcelain Raft, R.E.M., Smith Westerns, Telekinesis, Toro Y Moi, Vivian Girls, Yuck, and others.
- Listen: Yuck - “Bled White” (Elliott Smith Cover) (News) — Elliott Smith, Yuck
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Announce New Danger Mouse-Produced Album, Share “Dark Necessities” (News) — Danger Mouse, Nigel Godrich, Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Watch Live Footage of Jenny Lewis’ New Band Nice as Fuck (News) — Au Revoir Simone, Jenny Lewis, Nice as Fuck, The Like
- Watch Paul McCartney Cover Prince’s “Let’s Go Crazy” in Minneapolis Last Night (News) — Paul McCartney, Prince
- Austin City Limits Lineup: Radiohead, M83, HAIM, LCD Soundsystem, Foals, and More (News) — Austin City Limits, Andrew Bird, Band of Horses, Caveman, Conor Oberst, Chairlift, Foals, Frightened Rabbit, Kendrick Lamar, HAIM, LCD Soundsystem, Mumford & Sons, Local Natives, Flying Lotus, Marlon Williams, Major Lazer, Willie Nelson