Under the Radar’s Charity Protest Auction Starts Now!
Bid on Autographed Protest Signs Made by Janelle Monáe, Death Cab for Cutie, Tegan and Sara, Dan Deacon, James Blake, The Drums, and others
Oct 16, 2012
Issue #42 - The Protest Issue
Under the Radar magazine's Protest Auction starts NOW! The auction features all of the autographed protest signs created by musicians for the magazine's The Protest Issue, which is on newsstands now. All profits will go to the War Child charity.
Musicians who are taking part include Janelle Monáe, Death Cab for Cutie, Tegan and Sara, Dan Deacon, The Drums, of Montreal, DIIV, James Blake, Okkervil River, Tom Morello, Liars, Matthew Dear, Dum Dum Girls, EMA, Menomena, Amanda Palmer, Laetitia Sadier, Reggie Watts, Youth Lagoon, Zola Jesus, and many others. The complete list of artists is below.
For The Protest Issue artists were given boards and paint to make their own protest signs and were photographed holding them.
Start date of auction: Tuesday October 16, 2012 @ 2:00 p.m. EST
End date of auction: Tuesday October 23, 2012 @ 2:00 p.m. EST
Find the auction at eBay here: http://stores.ebay.com/Under-the-Radar-Protest-Auction
Here's a complete list of artists whose protest signs can be bid on (all are autographed by the musicians):
The Citizens Band (featuring Karen Elson, Nina Persson, and Zoë Kravitz)
Cymbals Eat Guitars
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
Death Cab for Cutie
Dum Dum Girls
Hooray for Earth
Beth Jeans Houghton
Lost in the Trees
The Love Language
Janelle Monáe (her sign is a one of a kind painting)
Tom Morello (of Rage Against the Machine and The Nightwatchman)
Niki & The Dove
JD Samson (of Le Tigre and MEN)
Taken By Trees
Tegan and Sara
The Protest Issue features two covers, one with Dan Deacon and another with Tegan and Sara. It includes major stories on the music of Occupy, musicians' involvement in the Obama campaign and the election, the difficulties of writing good protest songs, and gay musicians talking about current queer issues. The issue is still on newsstands and is also available to buy in the digital/iPad format—click here for details on that. Under the Radar also published Protest Issues in 2004 and 2008 and also auctioned off the protest signs for charity those years as well.
War Child is dedicated to providing urgently needed humanitarian assistance to war-affected children around the world. War Child helps generate awareness, support, and advocacy for children's rights everywhere.
More details on The Protest Issue can be found here.
More details on the auction can be found here.
- Hear the Universe (Interview) — Beach House
- Check Out Photos From Day Two of FYF Fest (News) — Belle and Sebastian, D’Angelo, FKA twigs, FYF Fest, FYF Fest 2015: Day Two, Laura Marling, Lower Dens, Mac DeMarco, Morrissey, Solange, Toro y Moi, Unknown Mortal Orchestra
- Jean-Michel Jarre Formally Announces Album Featuring M83, Air, Massive Attack, Fuck Buttons, and Mor (News) — Air, Fuck Buttons, M83, Massive Attack, Jean-Michel Jarre, Little Boots, John Carpenter, Moby, Laurie Anderson
- Baroness Announce New Album, “Purple,” Share New Song, “Chlorine & Wine” (News) — Baroness
- Bobcat Goldthwait and Barry Crimmins on “Call Me Lucky” (Interview) — Bobcat Goldthwait