Watch: Amanda Palmer - “Do It With a Rockstar” Video (Directed by Wayne Coyne) [NSFW]
All Access Pass
The video for Amanda Palmer's song "Do It With a Rock Star" opens with two self-deprecating scenes. The first captures a set of a drag queens sniping at one another after one of them announces that he/she will be going to a Palmer concert later that night. Not everyone is a fan of the singer. As one so bluntly puts it, "She is fugly, the bitch doesn't shave, and what is going on with those eyebrows?" In the next scene a group of hipster staring at their phones find out they could get tickets to the same concert. One of them denounces Palmer for being a "Scientologist" and "a klan member" who "hates everything." Regardless of their opinion they wind up going anyway because they find out they'd also get backstage passes.
Co-directed by The Flaming Lips Wayne Coyne with Palmer (who also makes a cameo hanging from the venue's rafters), the video for the Theatre is Evil track quickly descends into a mess of sweat, glitter, drinking, partying, sex, and general debauchery.
According to Palmer, "Working with Wayne was an old-school dream come true, as I've been following his crazed adventures for years but never met him before. I'm always actively seeking to connect with other crazed renaissance freaks to simply see HOW THEY WORK. Apparently, how it works with Wayne Coyne at a video shoot is simple: everything's a cosmic improvisation, everyone's attitude is on enthusiastic overdrive, and if you drop a hint, Wayne will covertly show up with six giant boxes of gold glitter (presumably from Flaming Lips Headquarters, where they must have an endless supply) in the trunk of his car. We hit it off like long lost art-soul-mates, and when I saw Wayne spontaneously climb onto a ceiling pole and stage-dive during the shoot, I thought: note to self, at all costs, wind up like Wayne Coyne. He gave me a great Oklahoma City/Flaming-Lips-History tour after the shoot was over as we bonded over our weird parallel lives, and I really got what I was hoping for...a new friend I could really relate to. We come from the same planet."
Click below if you dare. You can read Under the Radar's recent Q&A with Palmer on illegal downloading and protest music by clicking here.
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Oneohtrix Point Never, Petite Noir & Wild Beasts (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Richard Reed Parry of Arcade Fire vs. Peter Gabriel (Interview) — Richard Reed Parry, Peter Gabriel
- Adult Jazz (Interview) — Adult Jazz
- Listen: Broken Social Scene – “Golden Facelift” (News) — Broken Social Scene