Watch: Stephen Malkmus Covers Can’s “Ege Bamyasi”
Celebrating Album's 40th Anniversary
This year marks the 40th anniversary of Can's influential krautrock album Ege Bamyasi. Last weekend Stephen Malkmus honored the impact the record had on his musical upbringing by performing the record in full at the Week-End Fest in Cologne, Germany. Backed by local Cologne band Von Spar for the event, Malkmus had the opportunity to meet Can members Jaki Liebezeit and Irmin Schmidt, as well as the daughters of the late Michael Karoli.
The festival apparently filmed Malkmus' set and is making plans to release the show as a full-length concert film. Portions of the night have incidently found their way on online with Pitchfork.tv. Click below to watch.
"One More Night":
"Pinch" and "Soup":
- Listen: La Sera - “Whole Lotta Love” (Led Zeppelin Cover) (News) — La Sera, Led Zeppelin
- Listen: Jagwar Ma - “Slipping” (News) — Jagwar Ma
- Virgin Suicide (Interview) — Virgin Suicide
- Listen: Lower Dens Cover Hall & Oates’ “Maneater” For “The Time Is Now” Charity Compilation (News) — Lower Dens, New Order, Sugar For Sugar, Scarlett Johansson, Daryl Hall and John Oates
- Listen: Phantogram - “You’re Mine” (News) — Phantogram