Watch: Stephen Malkmus Covers Can’s “Ege Bamyasi”
Celebrating Album's 40th Anniversary
This year marks the 40th anniversary of Can's influential krautrock album Ege Bamyasi. Last weekend Stephen Malkmus honored the impact the record had on his musical upbringing by performing the record in full at the Week-End Fest in Cologne, Germany. Backed by local Cologne band Von Spar for the event, Malkmus had the opportunity to meet Can members Jaki Liebezeit and Irmin Schmidt, as well as the daughters of the late Michael Karoli.
The festival apparently filmed Malkmus' set and is making plans to release the show as a full-length concert film. Portions of the night have incidently found their way on online with Pitchfork.tv. Click below to watch.
"One More Night":
"Pinch" and "Soup":
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Oneohtrix Point Never, Petite Noir & Wild Beasts (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Richard Reed Parry of Arcade Fire vs. Peter Gabriel (Interview) — Richard Reed Parry, Peter Gabriel
- Adult Jazz (Interview) — Adult Jazz
- Listen: Broken Social Scene – “Golden Facelift” (News) — Broken Social Scene