Watch: The Flaming Lips Play “The Colbert Report”
Perform "Ashes in the Air," "Do You Realize??" and "Drug Chart"
Last night The Colbert Report finished off its broadcast of StePhest Colbchella '012: RockAugustFest with a special performance by The Flaming Lips. Featuring renditions of their recent Bon Iver collaboration "Ashes in the Air" (off The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends), as well as "Do You Realize??" and the gummi skull track "Drug Chart," frontman Wayne Coyne lied down with Colbert for an close-quarters interview inside a space capsule. Closing out the episode the band even let Colbert test drive one of their signature, crowd-surfing bubbles. You can watch both the performances and the interview down below.
In other Flaming Lips news, Rolling Stone recently interviewed Coyne about the band's upcoming 15th LP, tentatively titled The Terror. Described by Coyne as being "possibly the best Flaming Lips record ever made," much of the material sprung forth as a result of longtime bandmember and multi-instrumentalist Steven Drozd battling from a period of drug abuse. Coyne says the record's centerpiece and potential title track is a "really brutal but lovely song" about "finding the answer. What it hones in on is this idea that you really do have to surrender yourself to something before you get a great reward. But you also know that it sets you up for this horror. You sit in this dilemma of 'do I live a half-life because I don't want to live in pain?' or ‘do I go all the way in life and then kill myself?' That's the dilemma I saw in Steven at that peak of his pain."
"Ashes in the Air"
"Do You Realize??"
- HAIM Announce New Album, Share Paul Thomas Anderson-Directed Video for “Right Now” (News) — HAIM, Paul Thomas Anderson
- Childhood Announce New Album, Share “California Light” Video (News) — Childhood
- Mac DeMarco Shares “One More Love Song,” Plus Fan Fiction Contest and Marc Maron Interview (News) — Mac DeMarco, Marc Maron
- Patreon Exclusive: Previously Unseen Photos of St. Vincent from 2007 and 2008 (News) — St. Vincent
- Jay Som Shares New Song “Turn the Other Cheek” for Anti-Donald Trump “Our First 100 Days” (News) — Jay Som, Our First 100 Days