Rodrigo y Gabriela
Sep 18, 2009 Web Exclusive
In the liner notes to their eponymous debut album, Rodrigo Sanchez and Gabriela Quintero make the point that "A lot of people, when describing our sound, say we play flamenco. We don't. We blend a lot of styles into our playing, but this area of music is not one of them." In the three years since the release of Rodrigo y Gabriela, the Mexican duo has become one of the most exciting live acts on the circuit thanks to fluid, rapid-fire guitar play and stylistic experimentation.
For their follow-up, 11:11, Rod & Gab have enlisted producer/mixer Colin Richardson (Slipknot, Trivium) for an album which celebrates some of the musicians that have inspired them over the years. "Buster Voodoo" is an affectionate nod to Jimi Hendrix while "Atman" is their tribute to Dimebag Darrell; it features a scorching electric guitar solo from Testament's Alex Skolnick. Along with electric guitars, further texture is added by oud and sitar, but at the album's core is jaw-dropping acoustic interplay-Rodrigo on lead and Gabriela on rhythm-best showcased on track "Master Maqui." Fizzing with unbridled energy, 11:11 is an ideal musical pick-me-up. (www.rodgab.com)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Angel Olsen Shares New Song, “Fly on Your Wall,” For “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Trump Project (News) — Angel Olsen
- “1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs” 4-Year Anti-Trump Project Launches with R.E.M. Track (News) — 1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs, Dave Eggers, R.E.M.
- 2016 Artist Survey: Katie Stelmanis of Austra (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2016, Austra
- ACLU Benefit Comp Features New Mount Eerie and The Pains of Being Pure At Heart Songs, and More (News) — Mount Eerie, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Surfer Blood, Dean & Britta
- “Battle Hymns” Charity Protest Comp Features Stephen Malkmus, Carl Newman, and Carrie Brownstein (News) — Stephen Merchant, Pavement, The New Pornographers, Built to Spill, Carrie Brownstein, Sleater-Kinney, Superchunk, Quasi, Corin Tucker Band