Rodrigo y Gabriela
Sep 18, 2009 Web Exclusive
In the liner notes to their eponymous debut album, Rodrigo Sanchez and Gabriela Quintero make the point that "A lot of people, when describing our sound, say we play flamenco. We don't. We blend a lot of styles into our playing, but this area of music is not one of them." In the three years since the release of Rodrigo y Gabriela, the Mexican duo has become one of the most exciting live acts on the circuit thanks to fluid, rapid-fire guitar play and stylistic experimentation.
For their follow-up, 11:11, Rod & Gab have enlisted producer/mixer Colin Richardson (Slipknot, Trivium) for an album which celebrates some of the musicians that have inspired them over the years. "Buster Voodoo" is an affectionate nod to Jimi Hendrix while "Atman" is their tribute to Dimebag Darrell; it features a scorching electric guitar solo from Testament's Alex Skolnick. Along with electric guitars, further texture is added by oud and sitar, but at the album's core is jaw-dropping acoustic interplay-Rodrigo on lead and Gabriela on rhythm-best showcased on track "Master Maqui." Fizzing with unbridled energy, 11:11 is an ideal musical pick-me-up. (www.rodgab.com)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- CHVRCHES Working on Third Album with Dave Stewart of Eurythmics (News) — CHVRCHES, Dave Stewart, Eurythmics
- Detective Comics Vol. 1: Rise of the Batmen (Review) — DC Comics
- Listen: The New Pornographers - “This Is the World of the Theater” (News) — Neko Case, The New Pornographers
- Watch Los Campesinos! As Daytime TV Contestants in “5 Flucloxacillin” Video (News) — Los Campesinos!
- Listen: Robyn Hitchcock - “Mad Shelley’s Letterbox” (News) — Robyn Hitchcock