Feb 03, 2017
Issue # 59 - 15th Anniversary
Fox's first reboot of 24, 2014's Live Another Day, was a success because it really was that: a reboot, with a shortened season, a relocation to England, and a good blend of old (including Kiefer Sutherland's Jack Bauer) and new—actually new, rather than simply renamed and recast—characters. A tired series was reinvigorated, fans took interest again and lessons were learnt, right?
No. If the opening episode to 24: Legacy is anything to go by then this is purely an exercise in nostalgia; the format that had become so tired after eight seasons is recreated in forensic detail. Middle Eastern terrorists torturing and murdering brave Americans? A mysterious USB drive containing files? A possible mole inside CTU? "The only person I can trust?" An ethnic minority candidate running for president? Check, check, check, and check. They even recreate one scene from the series' very first episode. The only thing missing is the one thing people still liked, Jack Bauer.
Straight Outta Compton's Dr. Dre, Corey Hawkins, does a perfectly serviceable job in the thankless role of playing the new Jack, as do the other leads Jimmy Smits and Miranda Otto. But you'll have more fun rewatching your season one DVD. (www.fox.com/24-legacy)
Author rating: 4/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- The War on Drugs Share 11-Minute New Song – “Thinking of a Place” (News) — The War on Drugs
- Pleasure (Review) — Feist
- Fargo (Season 3, Episode 1: “The Law of Vacant Places” Recap and Review) (Review) — Ewan McGregor
- Shout Out Louds Share Video for New Song, “Oh Oh,” and Announce Tour Dates (News) — Shout Out Louds
- Jonathan Rado Shares “Surgeonman” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Foxygen, Jonathan Rado, Our First 100 Days