666 Park Avenue
ABC, Sundays 10/9 Central
Sep 30, 2012 Web Exclusive
Henry and Jane are the new caretakers of a luxurious old building on Manhattan's Upper East Side. Better known as "The Drake," the building has played host to more than its fair share of tragedies in its 90-year history. Suicides and murders are a norm there; both ghosts and occult societies have called The Drake their home. Its most menacing inhabitants, perhaps, are the building's enigmatic owners—Vanessa Williams and Lost's Terry O'Quinn—who draw up Faustian contracts with their tenants in exchange for their hearts' deepest desires.
Getting into too many specifics would spoil the premiere's surprises, but the show's premise leaves it wide open to explore new characters and their devilish bargains at will; with a constant supply of new renters, 666 Park Avenue should have no excuse to recycle ideas for a long, long time. While the acting and dialogue can come off as a bit campy, it's in the similar nudge-and-wink vein to Tales from the Crypt, and seems to be having some fun rather than taking itself overly seriously.
What 666 Park Avenue really has going for it is that the questions posed in the series' first episode feel like a real set of mysteries, rather than the haphazard scattering of loose ends we've seen in TV pilots in the post-Lost era. With a few genuinely spooky moments tossed in for good measure, it's off to a promising start. (www.welcometothedrake.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 5/10
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Watch: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. – “James Dean (Lyric Video)” (News) — Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
- Zola Jesus Expands Her North American Tour (News) — Zola Jesus
- alt-J - The Under the Radar Cover Story (Interview) — alt-J
- RIP Joe Cocker (News) — Joe Cocker