Apr 26, 2013 Issue #45 - Winter 2013 - Phoenix
Thr!!!er by name, thriller by nature. Having set out their stall with an innovative play on punctuation, Sacramento dance punks !!!—more readily Googleable as Chk Chk Chk—have been trumpeting long player number five as their high-water mark, a record to finally put the sextet on the map.
Yet 2010's Strange Weather, Isn't it? hardly suggested this was a band preparing to set the world ablaze. In fact, so unwieldy was the record's clatter of kaleidoscopic funk, it seemed more likely they'd be harrumphing to the bottom of a slippery career slope, never to be heard from again. A game-changing moment looked unrealistic.
To an extent, Thr!!!er dismisses this pessimistic train of thought. These sounds are !!! to the core, filled with sleazy, air-tight grooves, and sinuous guitars. But, produced under the guiding hand of Spoon's Jim Eno, the infuriating peaks and troughs that riddled previous endeavours have been ironed out, creating a consistently danceable 45 minutes.
And dance is what Thr!!!er does best. This is an album made for feet on the floor—an album that surges from the rainbow house euphoria of "One Girl/One Boy" to the crotch-grabbing bass-bin of "Except Death" before re-routing into the schizo-freak beats that rumble through the magnificent "Slyd." Sure, "Station (Meet Me At)" and its turgid, swamping blues may lessen the pulse rate somewhat, but make no mistake: this is grade-A party fodder at its most unhinged.
Still, hyperactive, dancehall bangers have always been !!!'s shtick; here, they're just tighter and sturdier in execution. And ultimately, such safely played conservatism feels like an opportunity squandered. Rather than opting for an exhilarating sonic adventure, Thr!!!er defaults on ass-slapping, mindless tunes. While the results are at times scintillating, it often feels like a thriller without quite enough killer. (www.chkchkchk.net)
Author rating: 6.5/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- Angel Olsen Shares New Song, “Fly on Your Wall,” For “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Trump Project (News) — Angel Olsen
- “1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs” 4-Year Anti-Trump Project Launches with R.E.M. Track (News) — 1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs, Dave Eggers, R.E.M.
- 2016 Artist Survey: Katie Stelmanis of Austra (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2016, Austra
- ACLU Benefit Comp Features New Mount Eerie and The Pains of Being Pure At Heart Songs, and More (News) — Mount Eerie, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Surfer Blood, Dean & Britta
- “Battle Hymns” Charity Protest Comp Features Stephen Malkmus, Carl Newman, and Carrie Brownstein (News) — Stephen Merchant, Pavement, The New Pornographers, Built to Spill, Carrie Brownstein, Sleater-Kinney, Superchunk, Quasi, Corin Tucker Band