A World Out of Time
Nov 26, 2012 Issue #43 - Animal Collective
Holy shit, this album art. The Mars Explorer's blurry Instagrams got nothin' on this. Vaguely Moorish sci-fi architecture winds around a series of red canyons; a crystal city lies in a glass globe in the distance, its backdrop an alien solar system. It's no surprise, then, that 75 percent of the songs presented here are named after science-fiction novels (approximately 78 percent if you count the LP's title).
Musically, this orbits the sloppy, manic side of the Krautrock or psych universe, bringing to mind Amon Düül II at their most addled, Faust at their most obtuse, or Pärson Sound at their most insistent. That is to say it's not gentle background music but some serious bad-vibes jams. If space is the place, well, it's teeming with philosophical/existential conundrums, sentient machines, and terrifying biomechanical organisms. (www.myspace.com/eternaltapestry)
Author rating: 6.5/10
Average reader rating: 6/10
- CHVRCHES Working on Third Album with Dave Stewart of Eurythmics (News) — CHVRCHES, Dave Stewart, Eurythmics
- Detective Comics Vol. 1: Rise of the Batmen (Review) — DC Comics
- Listen: The New Pornographers - “This Is the World of the Theater” (News) — Neko Case, The New Pornographers
- Watch Los Campesinos! As Daytime TV Contestants in “5 Flucloxacillin” Video (News) — Los Campesinos!
- Listen: Robyn Hitchcock - “Mad Shelley’s Letterbox” (News) — Robyn Hitchcock