A World Out of Time
Nov 26, 2012 Issue #43 - Animal Collective
Holy shit, this album art. The Mars Explorer's blurry Instagrams got nothin' on this. Vaguely Moorish sci-fi architecture winds around a series of red canyons; a crystal city lies in a glass globe in the distance, its backdrop an alien solar system. It's no surprise, then, that 75 percent of the songs presented here are named after science-fiction novels (approximately 78 percent if you count the LP's title).
Musically, this orbits the sloppy, manic side of the Krautrock or psych universe, bringing to mind Amon Düül II at their most addled, Faust at their most obtuse, or Pärson Sound at their most insistent. That is to say it's not gentle background music but some serious bad-vibes jams. If space is the place, well, it's teeming with philosophical/existential conundrums, sentient machines, and terrifying biomechanical organisms. (www.myspace.com/eternaltapestry)
Author rating: 6.5/10
Average reader rating: 6/10
- Watch: The New Pornographers - “Dancehall Domine” Video (News) — The New Pornographers
- alt-J To Play Madison Square Garden (News) — alt-J
- James Frontman Tim Booth Discusses Life, Death, and the Band’s New Album “La Petite Mort” (Interview) — James
- Listen: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. - “James Dean” (News) — Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
- Listen: Les Sins - “Why” (News) — Les Sins, Toro Y Moi