A World Out of Time
Nov 26, 2012 Issue #43 - Animal Collective
Holy shit, this album art. The Mars Explorer's blurry Instagrams got nothin' on this. Vaguely Moorish sci-fi architecture winds around a series of red canyons; a crystal city lies in a glass globe in the distance, its backdrop an alien solar system. It's no surprise, then, that 75 percent of the songs presented here are named after science-fiction novels (approximately 78 percent if you count the LP's title).
Musically, this orbits the sloppy, manic side of the Krautrock or psych universe, bringing to mind Amon Düül II at their most addled, Faust at their most obtuse, or Pärson Sound at their most insistent. That is to say it's not gentle background music but some serious bad-vibes jams. If space is the place, well, it's teeming with philosophical/existential conundrums, sentient machines, and terrifying biomechanical organisms. (www.myspace.com/eternaltapestry)
Author rating: 6.5/10
Average reader rating: 6/10
- Angel Olsen Shares New Song, “Fly on Your Wall,” For “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Trump Project (News) — Angel Olsen
- “1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs” 4-Year Anti-Trump Project Launches with R.E.M. Track (News) — 1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs, Dave Eggers, R.E.M.
- 2016 Artist Survey: Katie Stelmanis of Austra (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2016, Austra
- ACLU Benefit Comp Features New Mount Eerie and The Pains of Being Pure At Heart Songs, and More (News) — Mount Eerie, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Surfer Blood, Dean & Britta
- “Battle Hymns” Charity Protest Comp Features Stephen Malkmus, Carl Newman, and Carrie Brownstein (News) — Stephen Merchant, Pavement, The New Pornographers, Built to Spill, Carrie Brownstein, Sleater-Kinney, Superchunk, Quasi, Corin Tucker Band