All of Us, Together
May 25, 2012 Issue #41 - Yeasayer
If Teen Daze is Max Fischer, chillwave is his Rushmore. Unlike contemporaries such as Toro Y Moi and Washed Out—who graduated from the pseudo-genre's lackadaisical backbeats and murky synths on the strength of their pop chops—the nameless Canadian producer seems happy to wallow in the world of hazy electro soundscapes.
There are subtle signs of maturation after last year's painfully nondescript A Silent Planet EP, most notably "The Future," where Teen Daze corrals his effervescent sound into a satisfying, downbeat tune. Opener "Treten" emerges like a new age dance party, all hypnotic drum machines and zen-like phrasing, while "Late" is a brief, bubbly delight. Ultimately though, All of Us, Together is a slight affair, with Teen Daze desperately clinging to genre hallmarks when he has the potential to be so much more. (www.facebook.com/teendaze)
Author rating: 5/10
Average reader rating: 6/10
- Vampire Weekend’s Ezra Koenig to Host Beats 1 Radio Show, First Episode to Air Sunday (News) — Vampire Weekend
- Watch: Full Father John Misty CBC Music Session in a Tiny Garage/Leather Shop (News) — Father John Misty
- Watch Fictionalized Daft Punk Spin “Da Funk” For First Time in Clip from “Eden” (News) — Daft Punk
- Listen: Public Image Ltd - “Double Trouble” (News) — Public Image Ltd.
- Watch: Broken Legged Dave Grohl Play Foo Fighters Set in a Light Up Throne (News) — Foo Fighters