Animal Man Vol. 2: Animal vs. Man
Jan 21, 2013 Issue #44 - Best of 2012 - Grimes
If you haven't been keeping up with Jeff Lemire's Animal Man to this point, it's basically the story of a family in crisis. Oh, and the avatar of a force called the Red, fighting against the avatar of the Rot, with the help of her father, Animal Man, and a talking cat who is a totem for a spirit of the Red.
Yeah, it's pretty nuts.
It's also one of the best ongoing series in DC's New 52. Lemire (Sweet Tooth) brings his insightful eye for family drama to one of the weirdest tales in the DCU canon. The story takes place as the animal world (the Red) is being threatened by the Rot (which is basically the force of death). They are trying to meet up with Swamp Thing, the avatar of the Green (the force of plant life). All of this backstory is handled with Lemire's terrific characterization and humor and the great art of Steve Pugh (the main illustrator). You may come for the mythology, but you'll stay for the deep familial bonds.
Author rating: 7.5/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Ride the Pink Horse (Review) —
- Premiere: Deech Mixtape (Tallinn Music Week Edition) (News) — Deech, mixtapes, Tallinn Music Week 2015
- Check Out Photos from SXSW 2015 of The War on Drugs, Courtney Barnett, Laura Marling, and More (News) — Courtney Barnett, Laura Marling, The Twilight Sad, The War on Drugs, Twin Peaks, Jess Williamson, Tom Brosseau
- Carrie & Lowell (Review) — Sufjan Stevens
- Watch: Death Cab for Cutie’s Ben Gibbard Cover Guided by Voices’ “Tractor Rape Chain” (News) — Death Cab for Cutie