Animal Man Vol. 2: Animal vs. Man
Jan 21, 2013 Issue #44 - Best of 2012 - Grimes
If you haven't been keeping up with Jeff Lemire's Animal Man to this point, it's basically the story of a family in crisis. Oh, and the avatar of a force called the Red, fighting against the avatar of the Rot, with the help of her father, Animal Man, and a talking cat who is a totem for a spirit of the Red.
Yeah, it's pretty nuts.
It's also one of the best ongoing series in DC's New 52. Lemire (Sweet Tooth) brings his insightful eye for family drama to one of the weirdest tales in the DCU canon. The story takes place as the animal world (the Red) is being threatened by the Rot (which is basically the force of death). They are trying to meet up with Swamp Thing, the avatar of the Green (the force of plant life). All of this backstory is handled with Lemire's terrific characterization and humor and the great art of Steve Pugh (the main illustrator). You may come for the mythology, but you'll stay for the deep familial bonds.
Author rating: 7.5/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- 2016 Artist Survey: Oli Bayston of Boxed In (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2016, Boxed In
- Sylvan Esso Announce New Album and Tour Dates, Share “Die Young” Video (News) — Sylvan Esso
- Northern Passages (Review) — The Sadies
- Apocalipstick (Review) — Cherry Glazerr
- Watch Ryan Adams Cover Bruce Springsteen’s “Streets of Philadelphia” for BBC Radio 6 Music (News) — Bruce Springsteen, Ryan Adams