Animal Man Vol. 2: Animal vs. Man
Jan 21, 2013 Issue #44 - Best of 2012 - Grimes
If you haven't been keeping up with Jeff Lemire's Animal Man to this point, it's basically the story of a family in crisis. Oh, and the avatar of a force called the Red, fighting against the avatar of the Rot, with the help of her father, Animal Man, and a talking cat who is a totem for a spirit of the Red.
Yeah, it's pretty nuts.
It's also one of the best ongoing series in DC's New 52. Lemire (Sweet Tooth) brings his insightful eye for family drama to one of the weirdest tales in the DCU canon. The story takes place as the animal world (the Red) is being threatened by the Rot (which is basically the force of death). They are trying to meet up with Swamp Thing, the avatar of the Green (the force of plant life). All of this backstory is handled with Lemire's terrific characterization and humor and the great art of Steve Pugh (the main illustrator). You may come for the mythology, but you'll stay for the deep familial bonds.
Author rating: 7.5/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Nine Albums Out Today Worth Hearing: Gorillaz, Feist, Mew, Sufjan Stevens, and More (News) — BNQT, Feist, Gorillaz, Juliana Hatfield, Little Cub, Mew, Sufjan Stevens, Sylvan Esso, Thurston Moore
- Speedy Ortiz Covers TV on the Radio’s “Young Liars” for Planned Parenthood Covers Album (News) — Speedy Ortiz, TV on the Radio
- Waxahatchee Shares “Silver (Demo)” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Our First 100 Days, Waxahatchee
- Sufjan Stevens Announces Mixtape Featuring “Carrie & Lowell” Outtakes, Remixes, and Demos (News) — Sufjan Stevens
- Tribeca 2017: Brian Shoaf and Zachary Quinto on “Aardvark” (Interview) — Zachary Quinto, Brian Shoaf