Back in the Game
ABC, Wednesdays 8:30/7:30 Central
Sep 25, 2013 Web Exclusive
The Bad News Bears repeats itself on Back in the Game. The Cannon (James Caan) pressured his daughter, Terry (Psych's Maggie Lawson), on the baseball field growing up. After her marriage ends, Terry and her son Danny (Griffin Gluck) move in with her father. Danny wants to go out for baseball—not for love of the game, but to impress a girl, Vanessa (Kennedy Waite)—but isn't good enough for the team. Terry is dragged back to the field to start up a team of rejects on her own, the Angles (Angels spelled incorrectly on the uniforms), with the benevolence of Lulu (Being Human's Lenora Crichlow).
Back in the Game is cute, if only for the kids in the cast. The misfit team has a bunch of unique individuals who effortlessly define their characters: the gay kid, the immigrant kid, the fat kid, the identical twins, the arsonist. Then there's Danny, who doesn't know how to put on a mitt—but when he kisses Vanessa's boyfriend to disarm him, the anti-bullying tactic is priceless. Caan, who usually plays hard-asses, has a gruffly comical presence on the small screen. Lawson's performance is generic, but she looks super-cute in her coaching shorts and tank tops. Crichlow, as the wealthy widow who is up for a good time, is the one to watch. Nothing groundbreaking, but every so often a sports-themed show is de rigueur. (www.abc.go.com/shows/back-in-the-game)
Author rating: 5/10
- CHVRCHES Working on Third Album with Dave Stewart of Eurythmics (News) — CHVRCHES, Dave Stewart, Eurythmics
- Detective Comics Vol. 1: Rise of the Batmen (Review) — DC Comics
- Listen: The New Pornographers - “This Is the World of the Theater” (News) — Neko Case, The New Pornographers
- Watch Los Campesinos! As Daytime TV Contestants in “5 Flucloxacillin” Video (News) — Los Campesinos!
- Listen: Robyn Hitchcock - “Mad Shelley’s Letterbox” (News) — Robyn Hitchcock