Black River Killer EP
Sep 23, 2009 Web Exclusive
On 2008's Furr, Blitzen Trapper focused its wild eclecticism, settling on a stylized take on '70s country rock. "Black River Killer" is the perfect example, with finger-picked guitar and murder-ballad lyrics (make that multiple-murder). Here, it's paired with six tunes that already graced a tour CD, recorded during the Furr sessions.
"Shoulder Full of You" is a standout—a minimal beauty with singer Eric Earley (double-tracked, of course) providing some trademark nature-surrealism in the chorus: "Deer tracks on an unmade bed."
The other songs vary, some likely not making the full-length cut due to being eclipsed by stronger, similar-sounding material. Still, fans of Furr will find plenty to like with Black River Killer EP. (www.blitzentrapper.net)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Oneohtrix Point Never, Petite Noir & Wild Beasts (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Richard Reed Parry of Arcade Fire vs. Peter Gabriel (Interview) — Richard Reed Parry, Peter Gabriel
- Adult Jazz (Interview) — Adult Jazz
- Listen: Broken Social Scene – “Golden Facelift” (News) — Broken Social Scene