Black River Killer EP
Sep 23, 2009 Web Exclusive
On 2008's Furr, Blitzen Trapper focused its wild eclecticism, settling on a stylized take on '70s country rock. "Black River Killer" is the perfect example, with finger-picked guitar and murder-ballad lyrics (make that multiple-murder). Here, it's paired with six tunes that already graced a tour CD, recorded during the Furr sessions.
"Shoulder Full of You" is a standout—a minimal beauty with singer Eric Earley (double-tracked, of course) providing some trademark nature-surrealism in the chorus: "Deer tracks on an unmade bed."
The other songs vary, some likely not making the full-length cut due to being eclipsed by stronger, similar-sounding material. Still, fans of Furr will find plenty to like with Black River Killer EP. (www.blitzentrapper.net)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Elle Fanning, Christina Hendricks and Nicolas Winding Refn on ‘The Neon Demon’ (Interview) —
- Stream Jenny Lewis Supergroup Nice As Fuck’s Surprise-Released Debut Album (News) — Nice as Fuck, Jenny Lewis
- Cat’s Eyes (Interview) — Cat’s Eyes
- Watch: Deerhoof - “The Devil and his Anarchic Surrealist Retinue” Video (News) — Deerhoof
- Thom Yorke, Paul Mccartney, Trent Reznor and More Lobby Congress for Gun Control (News) — Thom Yorke, Paul McCartney, Trent Reznor, Lady Gaga