Black River Killer EP
Sep 23, 2009 Web Exclusive
On 2008's Furr, Blitzen Trapper focused its wild eclecticism, settling on a stylized take on '70s country rock. "Black River Killer" is the perfect example, with finger-picked guitar and murder-ballad lyrics (make that multiple-murder). Here, it's paired with six tunes that already graced a tour CD, recorded during the Furr sessions.
"Shoulder Full of You" is a standout—a minimal beauty with singer Eric Earley (double-tracked, of course) providing some trademark nature-surrealism in the chorus: "Deer tracks on an unmade bed."
The other songs vary, some likely not making the full-length cut due to being eclipsed by stronger, similar-sounding material. Still, fans of Furr will find plenty to like with Black River Killer EP. (www.blitzentrapper.net)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Watch Tame Impala Perform “The Less I Know the Better” on “The Late Show with Colbert” (News) — Stephen Colbert, Tame Impala
- Father John Misty Comments on His Taylor Swift/Ryan Adams Covers in New Interview (News) — Father John Misty, Ryan Adams, Taylor Swift
- Stream the New Album by Small Black, “Best Blues,” in Full (News) — Small Black
- Stream the New Solo Album by Chris Walla (ex-Death Cab for Cutie), “Tape Loops,” in Full (News) — Chris Walla
- Garbage - Shirley Manson on the 20th Anniversary of Their Debut Album (Interview) — Garbage