Black River Killer EP
Sep 23, 2009 Web Exclusive
On 2008's Furr, Blitzen Trapper focused its wild eclecticism, settling on a stylized take on '70s country rock. "Black River Killer" is the perfect example, with finger-picked guitar and murder-ballad lyrics (make that multiple-murder). Here, it's paired with six tunes that already graced a tour CD, recorded during the Furr sessions.
"Shoulder Full of You" is a standout—a minimal beauty with singer Eric Earley (double-tracked, of course) providing some trademark nature-surrealism in the chorus: "Deer tracks on an unmade bed."
The other songs vary, some likely not making the full-length cut due to being eclipsed by stronger, similar-sounding material. Still, fans of Furr will find plenty to like with Black River Killer EP. (www.blitzentrapper.net)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Watch: Cloud Nothings - “Now Hear In” Video (News) — Cloud Nothings
- Stream Weezer’s “Everything Will Be Alright In the End” (News) — Weezer
- Premiere: Peter Morén – “Broken Swenglish Vol. 2” EP Stream (News) — Peter Morén
- Watch: Trailer for “Inherent Vice,” Featuring Narration By Joanna Newsom (News) — Joanna Newsom
- Watch: TV on the Radio - “Happy Idiot” Video, Starring Paul Reubens and Karen Gillan (News) — TV on the Radio