Dec 11, 2013 Issue #48 - November/December 2013 - HAIM
VII gives you no indication that it was created after 1975. Blitzen Trapper's seventh full-length continues in the band's tradition of offering listeners a timeless blend of folk, rock, roots, gospel, country, and everything in between. Songwriter Eric Earley picked up his first string instrument when he was 6, and about 30 years later he's still paying tribute to the songs his father taught him, from John Denver to Creedence Clearwater Revival.
Some are good old-fashioned twangy fun, like album opener "Feel the Chill," which tells the tale of the old neighborhood haunted house that Earley and his friends were afraid to approach as kids. "Ever Loved Once" and "Don't Be a Stranger" are folksy ballads that slow the pace, reminiscing about love gone wrong. The former includes harmonies that would make CSNY proud.
Everything about VII is classic, from the stuck-in-a-desert feel of "Earth (Fever Called Love)," where you can all but feel the dried-out sand crack beneath your feet, to the lively groove of the Southern gospel of "Shine On."
"I've been running so long/I can't recall what it means to stay," croons Earley on "Thirsty Man." The frontman is no stranger to running. He has spent chunks of his life without a real home, traveling from place to place. That wandering quality is evident on these songs, which are filled with tales inspired by his own wayward adventures. It makes it just that much more fun to join Blitzen Trapper's journey on VII. (www.blitzentrapper.net)
Author rating: 6/10
- Listen: Yuck - “Bled White” (Elliott Smith Cover) (News) — Elliott Smith, Yuck
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Announce New Danger Mouse-Produced Album, Share “Dark Necessities” (News) — Danger Mouse, Nigel Godrich, Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Watch Live Footage of Jenny Lewis’ New Band Nice as Fuck (News) — Au Revoir Simone, Jenny Lewis, Nice as Fuck, The Like
- Watch Paul McCartney Cover Prince’s “Let’s Go Crazy” in Minneapolis Last Night (News) — Paul McCartney, Prince
- Austin City Limits Lineup: Radiohead, M83, HAIM, LCD Soundsystem, Foals, and More (News) — Austin City Limits, Andrew Bird, Band of Horses, Caveman, Conor Oberst, Chairlift, Foals, Frightened Rabbit, Kendrick Lamar, HAIM, LCD Soundsystem, Mumford & Sons, Local Natives, Flying Lotus, Marlon Williams, Major Lazer, Willie Nelson