Blue Bloods (Fridays 10/9 Central)
Sep 24, 2010
A whole family made of NYPD. That makes for some light and cheery dinnertime conversation. The Reagans are the multi-generational clan on Blue Bloods who are at different levels in their police career. Frank (Tom Selleck) is the commissioner father. Danny (Donnie Wahlberg) is the detective son. Jamie (Will Estes) is the rookie son who graduated Harvard Law only to give it up to join the force. Erin (Bridget Moynahan) as assistant district attorney is the only non-police officer. Rounding off the family is patriarch Henry (Len Cariou) as former police chief.
Diplomacy is the key to holding things together for the Reagans in their individual positions. At any point one of them could be stepping on the toes of another, such as in he pilot where Danny (almost) ruins Erin’s case and she lets him have it in a way that only a sister can with a brother. On the other side, Danny is the point detective on a child abduction case that has Frank over the coals. And Jamie is recruited by his dead brother Joe’s co-workers to pick up where Joe left off on a sensitive case of which his father is ignorant. Frankly, he seems too delicate and slight for police work, but his earnestness makes up for this.
There is a web of interactivity on Blue Bloods that keeps it intriguing. Even if you are not invested in one storyline, another may pique your interest. Danny’s a family man with a standout scene-stealer of a wife. Erin’s a single parent and the latest in a long line of strong matriarchs. Frank is having a secret affair with a reporter. Jamie’s got his fingers in so many activities, it’s hard to believe he just got started. Not to be discounted is the family’s interaction with each other which barely balances the professional with the personal, making it all that much more exciting. A solid cast with tangible family chemistry make Blue Blood a contender. (www.cbs.com/bluebloods)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- CHVRCHES’ Lauren Mayberry Continues to Confront Online Misogyny With Instagram Post (News) — CHVRCHES
- This Week In Geek: Possible Candidates to Play Spider-Man + “Daredevil,” “Jurassic World” (News) —
- Watch: Hans-Peter Lindstrǿm and Grace Hall - “Home Tonight” Video (News) — Hans-Peter Lindstrom, Grace Hall, Emil Nikolaisen, Todd Rundgren
- The Black Keys’ Dan Auerbach Forms New Solo Project Called The Arcs (News) — Dan Auerbach, The Black Keys, The Arcs
- The End: Hamilton Leithauser on Endings and Death (Interview) — Hamilton Leithauser, The Walkmen