Boardwalk Empire (Sundays 9/10 Central)
Sep 17, 2010
Writer Terence Winter (The Sopranos) delivers the most exciting new series in recent history with Boardwalk Empire, a sweeping Prohibition gangster saga that redefines the boundaries of television storytelling.
Winter’s vision of 1920s Atlantic City, New Jersey has just the right balance of humor, drama, sex, and violence placed in a world that feels like a vintage postcard come to life. The sets and costumes are beautiful, the dialogue crackles, and the performances are nothing short of spectacular. Martin Scorsese, an undeniable Hollywood legend and master of the crime genre, directed the pilot that features a host of critically acclaimed feature actors (Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, Kelly Macdonald, Michael Shannon) who have finally been given the forum to truly develop characters over more than just 120 minutes.
HBO has another homerun on its hands. The network that brought us Band of Brothers, The Pacific, John Adams, and Rome might finally have a period piece that can stretch its legs beyond a mini-series or a few short seasons. And, perhaps most importantly, Boardwalk Empire holds the promise of filling the hole left in many hearts by that other New Jersey crime drama. (www.hbo.com)
Author rating: 9/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- FORGET (Review) — Xiu Xiu
- Luke Davies, Oscar-nominated screenwriter of ‘Lion’ (Interview) —
- “Twin Peaks” SXSW Event to Feature Kyle MacLachlan, Real Estate, Neko Case, M. Ward, and More (News) — Twin Peaks (TV Show), David Lynch, SXSW, Kyle MacLachlan, Real Estate, Neko Case, M. Ward, Julie Byrne, Tim Darcy, Let’s Eat Grandma
- One Million Years B.C. (Review) —
- 2016 Artist Survey: Justin Lockey of Minor Victories and Editors (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2016, Minor Victories, Editors