Boardwalk Empire (Sundays 9/10 Central)
Sep 17, 2010
Writer Terence Winter (The Sopranos) delivers the most exciting new series in recent history with Boardwalk Empire, a sweeping Prohibition gangster saga that redefines the boundaries of television storytelling.
Winter’s vision of 1920s Atlantic City, New Jersey has just the right balance of humor, drama, sex, and violence placed in a world that feels like a vintage postcard come to life. The sets and costumes are beautiful, the dialogue crackles, and the performances are nothing short of spectacular. Martin Scorsese, an undeniable Hollywood legend and master of the crime genre, directed the pilot that features a host of critically acclaimed feature actors (Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, Kelly Macdonald, Michael Shannon) who have finally been given the forum to truly develop characters over more than just 120 minutes.
HBO has another homerun on its hands. The network that brought us Band of Brothers, The Pacific, John Adams, and Rome might finally have a period piece that can stretch its legs beyond a mini-series or a few short seasons. And, perhaps most importantly, Boardwalk Empire holds the promise of filling the hole left in many hearts by that other New Jersey crime drama. (www.hbo.com)
Author rating: 9/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Brandon Flowers at Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA, July 30, 2015 (Review) — Brandon Flowers
- Read All Our “Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp” Interviews From This Week (News) — Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp, Wet Hot American Summer
- Chad Valley Announces Sophomore Album, Shares First Single, “True” (News) — Chad Valley
- Vampire Weekend’s Chris Baio Shares “Endless Rhythm” Video (News) — Baio, Vampire Weekend
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist With Prince, Ought, Jamie Lidell, Wavves, and Small Black (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist