Jul 18, 2012 Web Exclusive
You remember when you were about 16 or 17 at school, and there was that shit kid in your class who was kinda book-smart but mistook his own cod-cynicism for Wildean wit? Well now he has his confirmed musical equivalent in Japandroids, whose debut Post Nothing saw them leap straight into the apathy and weariness of being in a touring band and whose sophomore effort Celebration Rock continues the trend of having a title less than one-tenth as wry as it thinks it is.
Aptly, the title is about as subtle and nuanced as the record itself: a short, samey burst of enjoyable, yet disposable, garage rock. At its best, on tracks such as "The House That Heaven Built," it recalls Galaxie 500's energetic post punk/pop sound and adds jumped-up vocals, and there's some genuinely impressive instrumentation. All too often, though, it's an attempt at this exact same sound that lacks any ideas; not so much directionless as without destination.
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Man With a Plan (Review) —
- The Decemberists Announce Deluxe “The Crane Wife” Reissue with Lin-Manuel Miranda Essay (News) — The Decemberists
- Listen: Soft Hair (Connan Mockasin + LA Priest’s Sam Dust) - “Relaxed Lizard” (News) — Connan Mockasin, LA Priest, Late of the Pier, Soft Hair
- Listen: Run the Jewels Share New Song - “Talk to Me” (News) — El-P, Killer Mike, Run the Jewels
- Listen: Joanna Newsom Shares New Song - “Make Hay” (News) — Joanna Newsom