Classic Pin-Up Art of Jack Cole
(Edited by Alex Chun)
Jun 04, 2010 Web Exclusive
Jack Cole is best known by some as the creator of Plastic Man; by others for his highly influential work on Playboy Magazine. He was undeniably a master of his craft, with deft, lovely lines and a witty sensibility. This new book, Classic Pin-Up Art of Jack Cole, from Fantagraphics focuses mostly on the titillating and gracefully naughty one-panel comics done for the Humorama publishing concern. It's work that mostly precluded his time at Playboy, but set the stage for that highly revered and widely recognized work.
This is the best sort of cheesecake. The historical text piece puts these works and the career of Mr. Cole into context, and creates a fascinating, entertaining, and timeless volume. Priced at $18.99, it might be steep in a sense for 100 pages, but I'm betting you'll read it again and again. (www.fantagraphics.com)
Author rating: 9/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- CHVRCHES Working on Third Album with Dave Stewart of Eurythmics (News) — CHVRCHES, Dave Stewart, Eurythmics
- Detective Comics Vol. 1: Rise of the Batmen (Review) — DC Comics
- Listen: The New Pornographers - “This Is the World of the Theater” (News) — Neko Case, The New Pornographers
- Watch Los Campesinos! As Daytime TV Contestants in “5 Flucloxacillin” Video (News) — Los Campesinos!
- Listen: Robyn Hitchcock - “Mad Shelley’s Letterbox” (News) — Robyn Hitchcock