Classic Pin-Up Art of Jack Cole
(Edited by Alex Chun)
Jun 04, 2010 Web Exclusive
Jack Cole is best known by some as the creator of Plastic Man; by others for his highly influential work on Playboy Magazine. He was undeniably a master of his craft, with deft, lovely lines and a witty sensibility. This new book, Classic Pin-Up Art of Jack Cole, from Fantagraphics focuses mostly on the titillating and gracefully naughty one-panel comics done for the Humorama publishing concern. It's work that mostly precluded his time at Playboy, but set the stage for that highly revered and widely recognized work.
This is the best sort of cheesecake. The historical text piece puts these works and the career of Mr. Cole into context, and creates a fascinating, entertaining, and timeless volume. Priced at $18.99, it might be steep in a sense for 100 pages, but I'm betting you'll read it again and again. (www.fantagraphics.com)
Author rating: 9/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- I Am Chris Farley (Review) —
- Momentary Masters (Review) — Albert Hammond Jr.
- Something More Than Free (Review) — Jason Isbell
- Premiere: Enchanted Hunters Mixtape (OFF Festival Edition) (News) — Enchanted Hunters, mixtapes, OFF Festival 2015
- See Michael Keaton & Mark Ruffalo in First Trailer for Catholic Church Sex Abuse Film “Spotlight” (News) — Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, John Slattery, Rachel McAdams