Times New Viking
Apr 28, 2011 Web Exclusive
Here we have Times New Viking's first journey into a proper recording studio. As arbiters of the shit-fi sound, they are sonically obligated to make it sound like, well, a decent four-track cassette recording. Still, it'll be a marked improvement for many listeners, the lo- of their fi on previous outings being almost hilarious in its lo-ness.
So a jump in fidelity, but not enough to alienate the fans —you'll still get your hiss, the charming tuning problems, the willfully obtuse to derail the directness. Anyway, who cares —great tunes can transcend fidelity, but fidelity can't elevate shitty ones. And TNV usually have a handful of solid Flying Nun-flavored guitar burners at their disposal, along with enough attitude to drive them home.
You get some cozy and mellow numbers, such as the detached duet of "Ever Falling in Love" or the Vaselines-flavored pop of "No Room to Live." Or better yet the ones when they crank it out, like on "Fuck Her Tears," channeling The Clean perhaps. But you know... less clean.
Ultimately, the seasick anthem "Try Harder" could work as the manifesto for Dancer Equired, its title both recognizing the new (relative) sheen and extending a middle finger to those who require it. (www.timesnewviking.net)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 6/10
- Watch: The Lonely Island - “Semicolon” (Feat. Solange) Lyric Video (News) — The Lonely Island
- Listen: Rose Windows - “Wartime Lovers” (News) — Rose Windows
- Watch: London Grammar - “Wasting My Young Years” Video (News) — London Grammar
- Watch: Boards of Canada Share New Music on Video Screen in Downtown Tokyo (News) — Boards of Canada
- Watch: The xx and Jessie Ware Cover Modjo’s “Lady” and Stardust’s “Music Sounds Better With You” (News) — Jessie Ware, The xx