Mar 13, 2017 Issue # 59 - 15th Anniversary
Find It At: AMAZON
Decelerate Blue is the new graphic novel from playwright/novelist Adam Rapp and animator Mike Cavallaro. The comic imagines a future sped up, where efficiency has replaced decency as society's crowning virtue. It redefines technophobia, emphasizing the high-speed nature of technology's progression as the most influential factor in mankind's devolution.
Decelerate Blue's hyper dystopia subverts conventions by reconfiguring society's moral compass, fundamentally changing the rules of behavior, decency, and good citizenship. Rapp's story beautifully navigates around these big ideas with emotional complexity and satisfyingly curious characters, an achievement in most literature, but especially appreciated in comics.
Cavallaro uses minimalist black and white inks to great effect for the majority of the book, but color also plays a significant storytelling role. And while the panels may seem sparse at first, the images are packed with surprising details that go unnoticed without taking a moment to soak it in, immersing the reader in the rushed and busy pace of Decelerate Blue's brilliantly thought out universe. (www.firstsecondbooks.com)
Author rating: 8/10
- Listen: Broken Social Scene Share New Song - “Halfway Home” (News) — Broken Social Scene
- Wilco Announce June Tour Dates and Confirm Full Solid Sound Festival Lineup (News) — Wilco
- Watch Strand of Oaks Perform “Rest of It” and “Radio Kids” on “Conan” (News) — Conan O’Brien, Strand of Oaks
- Watch: Little Cub Share Politically Fueled “Hypnotise” Video (News) — Little Cub
- Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys Announces New Solo Album, Shares “Shine on Me” Video (News) — Dan Auerbach, The Arcs, The Black Keys