Oct 09, 2012 Web Exclusive
From the ashes of post-rock aesthetes Apse comes ERAAS. With frontman Robert Toher and co-songwriter Austin Stawiarz remaining, the act assumes a more silvery, esoteric, and minimalist shape, as ethereal vocals recalling The Knife slither around sinewy bass groves and stray glass synth shards.
“Ghost” is an immediate standout, its foreboding pulsations recalling the cold, disquieting headspace of Liars’ WIXIW. “Skinning” begins with a repetitive piano vamp before metamorphosing into a cacophony of swirling white noise buttressed by an insistent tribal kick stomp.
But ultimately this is an album best appreciated as a singular entity, listened to from start to finish. It recalls the more experimental moments of Apse’s terrific oeuvre, and transmogrifies them into a beguiling suite of incorporeal incantations and threnodies that may find you reaching for your Ouija Board. (www.eraasgroup.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Watch: Hot Chip - “Need You Now” Video (News) — Hot Chip
- Watch: alt-J on “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon” (News) —
- David Duchovny to Release Debut Solo Album on May 12; Gives Update on “X-Files” Return (News) —
- Watch: Sondre Lerche Covers Big Star’s “Thirteen” on Norwegian TV Show Trygdekontoret (News) — Sondre Lerche
- Check Out Photos of JoyCut, Bendik and More at Tallinn Music Week (News) — Tallinn Music Week 2015, Tallinn Music Week 2015 Day Three, Bendik, JoyCut, MiaMee, Repetitor