Oct 09, 2012 Web Exclusive
From the ashes of post-rock aesthetes Apse comes ERAAS. With frontman Robert Toher and co-songwriter Austin Stawiarz remaining, the act assumes a more silvery, esoteric, and minimalist shape, as ethereal vocals recalling The Knife slither around sinewy bass groves and stray glass synth shards.
“Ghost” is an immediate standout, its foreboding pulsations recalling the cold, disquieting headspace of Liars’ WIXIW. “Skinning” begins with a repetitive piano vamp before metamorphosing into a cacophony of swirling white noise buttressed by an insistent tribal kick stomp.
But ultimately this is an album best appreciated as a singular entity, listened to from start to finish. It recalls the more experimental moments of Apse’s terrific oeuvre, and transmogrifies them into a beguiling suite of incorporeal incantations and threnodies that may find you reaching for your Ouija Board. (www.eraasgroup.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- The Smiths, Janet Jackson, N.W.A., Nine Inch Nails, etc. Nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (News) — The Smiths, Nine Inch Nails, Janet Jackson
- Eleanor Friedberger Shares New Song/Video, “False Alphabet City,” Announces Shows (News) — Eleanor Friedberger, The Fiery Furnaces
- Watch: Low - “Lies” Video (News) — Low
- Premiere: Fresh Snow - “Don’t Fuck A Gift Horse In The Mouth” Video (News) — Fresh Snow
- Watch Emma Stone Dance on the Iconic Queen Mary Ship in a New Video for Will Butler’s “Anna” (News) — Arcade Fire, Emma Stone, Will Butler