Oct 09, 2012 Web Exclusive
From the ashes of post-rock aesthetes Apse comes ERAAS. With frontman Robert Toher and co-songwriter Austin Stawiarz remaining, the act assumes a more silvery, esoteric, and minimalist shape, as ethereal vocals recalling The Knife slither around sinewy bass groves and stray glass synth shards.
“Ghost” is an immediate standout, its foreboding pulsations recalling the cold, disquieting headspace of Liars’ WIXIW. “Skinning” begins with a repetitive piano vamp before metamorphosing into a cacophony of swirling white noise buttressed by an insistent tribal kick stomp.
But ultimately this is an album best appreciated as a singular entity, listened to from start to finish. It recalls the more experimental moments of Apse’s terrific oeuvre, and transmogrifies them into a beguiling suite of incorporeal incantations and threnodies that may find you reaching for your Ouija Board. (www.eraasgroup.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Lykke Li and Peter Bjorn and John and Miike Snow Members Form LIV, Share “Wings of Love” (News) — LIV, Lykke Li, Amason, Jeff Bhasker, Miike Snow, Peter Bjorn and John
- Watch: New Teaser for Returned “Twin Peaks” Series Highlights Angelo Badalamenti’s Score (News) — Angelo Badalamenti, David Lynch, Twin Peaks (TV Show)
- Listen: Hiss Golden Messenger - “Heart Like a Levee” (News) — Hiss Golden Messenger
- Cut Copy Surprise Release New 44-Minute Ambient Instrumental “January Tape” (News) — Cut Copy
- Watch Regina Spektor Perform “Small Bill$” on “The Late Late Show with James Corden” (News) — Regina Spektor, James Corden