OTHER MUSIC/FAT POSSUM
Mar 11, 2013 Web Exclusive
Brooklyn's Ex Cops differentiate themselves from legions of neo-shoegaze acts on their debut LP True Hallucinations, thanks in large part to one key strength—intuitively gorgeous harmonizing. Recalling The Vaselines at their finest, singer/guitarist Brian Harding and singer/keyboardist Amalie Bruun's vocals bleed together effortlessly, adroitly complementing this superb take on early '90s dream pop.
"Spring Break (Birthday Song)" is a lithe, sing-songy number with Bruun and Harding swapping perspectives over a jaunty, Kinks-like rhythmic kick, while the torque-driven "Jazz & Information," with its alto sax flourishes, sublimely approximates Spiritualized circa Pure Phase.
"The Millionaire" drifts down a proverbial rabbit hole, all glacial, slow-motion melodies akin to early Mercury Rev, guiding Harding as he languidly intones, "Some things never happen/Slow down your reaction." Levity is found on "Billy Pressly," a brisk respite of jangle pop that features Harding and Bruun frenetically crooning, "You just don't have to worry about it/Go dry your eyes."
It's this dichotomy between pop as play and dark sobering moments that renders True Hallucinations a thoroughly beguiling listen. A charmed debut that exhibits just how deep the well of pop music runs when a band has a firm grasp of the fundamentals, which Ex Cops possess in spades. (www.excopsband.com)
Author rating: 8/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Check Out Photos of Laura Marling in Oslo, Norway (News) — Laura Marling
- Bill Murray and Sofia Coppola Reteam for Christmas Special with Jenny Lewis, Phoenix, and More (News) — Bill Murray, Jenny Lewis, Phoenix
- Watch: Full “Game of Thrones: The Musical” Featuring Coldplay, Game of Thrones Cast, and Liam Neeson (News) — Coldplay, Game of Thrones, Peter Dinklage
- Listen: The Cure’s Robert Smith Covers The Twilight Sad’s “There’s a Girl in the Corner” (News) — The Cure, The Twilight Sad
- Check Out Photos of San Fermin at The Troubadour in West Hollywood (News) — San Fermin