OTHER MUSIC/FAT POSSUM
Mar 11, 2013 Web Exclusive
Brooklyn's Ex Cops differentiate themselves from legions of neo-shoegaze acts on their debut LP True Hallucinations, thanks in large part to one key strength—intuitively gorgeous harmonizing. Recalling The Vaselines at their finest, singer/guitarist Brian Harding and singer/keyboardist Amalie Bruun's vocals bleed together effortlessly, adroitly complementing this superb take on early '90s dream pop.
"Spring Break (Birthday Song)" is a lithe, sing-songy number with Bruun and Harding swapping perspectives over a jaunty, Kinks-like rhythmic kick, while the torque-driven "Jazz & Information," with its alto sax flourishes, sublimely approximates Spiritualized circa Pure Phase.
"The Millionaire" drifts down a proverbial rabbit hole, all glacial, slow-motion melodies akin to early Mercury Rev, guiding Harding as he languidly intones, "Some things never happen/Slow down your reaction." Levity is found on "Billy Pressly," a brisk respite of jangle pop that features Harding and Bruun frenetically crooning, "You just don't have to worry about it/Go dry your eyes."
It's this dichotomy between pop as play and dark sobering moments that renders True Hallucinations a thoroughly beguiling listen. A charmed debut that exhibits just how deep the well of pop music runs when a band has a firm grasp of the fundamentals, which Ex Cops possess in spades. (www.excopsband.com)
Author rating: 8/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Andrew Bird Announces New Album, Shares “Capsized,” Performs on “Conan” (News) — Andrew Bird
- Plants and Animals Announce New Album, Share “Stay” (News) — Plants and Animals
- The Monkees Announce New Album with Songs by Ben Gibbard, Rivers Cuomo, Noel Gallagher, and More (News) — Benjamin Gibbard, Carole King, Death Cab for Cutie, Fountains of Wayne, Oasis, Noel Gallagher, Rogue Wave, Harry Nilsson, Neil Diamond, The Monkees
- The End: Richard Hawley on Endings and Death (Interview) — Richard Hawley
- 2015 Artist Survey: Ultimate Painting (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2015, Mazes, Ultimate Painting