FYF Fest 2016, August 27 - August 28, Exposition Park, Los Angeles,
Sep 08, 2016 Web Exclusive Photography by Natasha Aftandilians
FYF Fest is in its 13th year, and like most preteens it's been going through some awkward growing pains. Transitioning from downtown's State Historic Park to the Coliseum in 2014 was no small feat and that year had it's fair share of hiccups (massive lines to enter the grounds, the indoor stage that quickly turned into a fire hazard, and the labyrinthine journey to get from one stage to the next, etc.).
Luckily for the diehard FYF-ers who have seen the fest evolve exponentially since 2004, organizers have used the last two years as a humbling learning experience and most of the logistical nightmares have been sorted out. The lines on Saturday were longer due to increased security searches and those familiar with 2015's layout were thrown by the changes in stage locations, but the vocal complaints were at a surprising minimum.
The weekend was filled with more pleasant surprises this time around; there were no sudden, artist dropouts to break everyone's heart (ahem, Frank Ocean), and there were special guests galore-from Sky Ferreira and Carly Rae Jepsen dropping in on Blood Orange's set, to Robyn sneaking on stage with The Black Madonna-Tame Impala fans were even blessed by an unexpected appearance by Lady Gaga.
FYF Fest 2016 was a far cry from the little indie music and comedy gathering that was birthed at the Echo all those years ago, but the eclectic spirit was alive and well. Where and when else can you be immersed in the spiritual screams of Charles Bradley one second and be staring at Grace Jones' painted, statuesque body the next? No matter what weird musical cravings you need satisfied, you can always count on FYF Fest to be worth waiting hours in the late summer sun for.
- Nine Albums Out Today Worth Hearing: Gorillaz, Feist, Mew, Sufjan Stevens, and More (News) — BNQT, Feist, Gorillaz, Juliana Hatfield, Little Cub, Mew, Sufjan Stevens, Sylvan Esso, Thurston Moore
- Speedy Ortiz Covers TV on the Radio’s “Young Liars” for Planned Parenthood Covers Album (News) — Speedy Ortiz, TV on the Radio
- Waxahatchee Shares “Silver (Demo)” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Our First 100 Days, Waxahatchee
- Sufjan Stevens Announces Mixtape Featuring “Carrie & Lowell” Outtakes, Remixes, and Demos (News) — Sufjan Stevens
- Tribeca 2017: Brian Shoaf and Zachary Quinto on “Aardvark” (Interview) — Zachary Quinto, Brian Shoaf