Shine Your Light
Nov 28, 2013 Issue #48 - November/December 2013 - HAIM
After Cleveland's Gap Dream brought together elements of Spiritualized and '60s rock/pop on last year's debut album, these latest recordings find linchpin Gabe Fulvimar heading straight for your synth-humming heart.
Keyboards have a greater melodic presence here. Intros to some tracks can be pleasantly deceiving, echoing electronic music pioneers such as Wendy Carlos and Larry Fast before giving way to some of the album's catchiest, most accessible material. Fans of MGMT who still yearn for a more linear follow-up to Oracular Spectacular may find something to celebrate here, while lines can also be traced to some of Grandaddy's best work.
Fulvimar comes on stronger when the music's punch is stronger, whether melodically or rhythmically. "Snow Your Mind" drifts rather than drives, but the guitar-powered "You're From the Shadow" follows and sets things back on track with a kick. Whether the dreamy passages or the pop hooks reach deeper, you may find yourself moved to leave the Light on. (www.gapdream.bandcamp.com)
Author rating: 7/10
- Ride the Pink Horse (Review) —
- Ibeyi at Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York (Review) — Ibeyi
- Premiere: Deech Mixtape (Tallinn Music Week Edition) (News) — Deech, mixtapes, Tallinn Music Week 2015
- Check Out Photos from SXSW 2015 of The War on Drugs, Courtney Barnett, Laura Marling, and More (News) — Courtney Barnett, Laura Marling, The Twilight Sad, The War on Drugs, Twin Peaks, Jess Williamson, Tom Brosseau
- Carrie & Lowell (Review) — Sufjan Stevens