Shine Your Light
Nov 28, 2013 Issue #48 - November/December 2013 - HAIM
After Cleveland's Gap Dream brought together elements of Spiritualized and '60s rock/pop on last year's debut album, these latest recordings find linchpin Gabe Fulvimar heading straight for your synth-humming heart.
Keyboards have a greater melodic presence here. Intros to some tracks can be pleasantly deceiving, echoing electronic music pioneers such as Wendy Carlos and Larry Fast before giving way to some of the album's catchiest, most accessible material. Fans of MGMT who still yearn for a more linear follow-up to Oracular Spectacular may find something to celebrate here, while lines can also be traced to some of Grandaddy's best work.
Fulvimar comes on stronger when the music's punch is stronger, whether melodically or rhythmically. "Snow Your Mind" drifts rather than drives, but the guitar-powered "You're From the Shadow" follows and sets things back on track with a kick. Whether the dreamy passages or the pop hooks reach deeper, you may find yourself moved to leave the Light on. (www.gapdream.bandcamp.com)
Author rating: 7/10
- Watch: Bat For Lashes - “Sunday Love” Video (News) — Bat For Lashes
- Listen: Swans - “When Will I Return” (News) — Swans
- Four Tet Shares New Song with Impossibly Long Title in Honor of SoundCloud Milestone (News) — Four Tet
- Feist Covers The Tragically Hip’s “Flamenco” in Honor of Terminally Ill Frontman Gord Downie (News) — Feist, Gord Downie, Broken Social Scene, Kevin Drew, The Tragically Hip
- Watch/Listen: Garbage - “Even Though Our Love Is Doomed” Lyric Video (News) — Garbage