Ginger & Rosa
Directed by Sally Potter; Starring Elle Fanning and Alice Englert
Mar 15, 2013
Issue #44 - Best of 2012 - Grimes
Set in London, 1962, amid the specter of the Cuban Missile Crisis, this coming-of-age drama from writer-director Sally Potter (Orlando) otherwise begins wistfully enough, with friends Ginger (Elle Fanning) and Rosa (Alice Englert) indulging in teenage-girl behavior, cavorting about town together, rebelling against their mothers, smoking cigarettes, and laughing about kissing boys. Cinematographer Robbie Ryan captures all of it in fetching natural tones. Ginger's father (Alessandro Nivola) is an admired writer and activist in bohemian circles, and she becomes drawn to anti-bomb protests as the threat of an apocalypse begins to weigh on her.
Ginger's social awakening notwithstanding, Rosa is the more mysterious and worldly of the two. Seeing Ginger & Rosa on the festival circuit last year, there was a sense early in the film that the takeaway from it would be the arrival of Englert (Jane Campion's daughter) on the international film scene, much like Eva Green with The Dreamers. But before long, Fanning begins to own the film, as her character weathers the betrayals and hypocrisies of those closest to her. Forget that Fanning, now 14, assumes an English accent for the part. Her portrayal of emotional confusion and bridled pain is remarkable to see unfold. (www.facebook.com/GingerAndRosa)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 3/10
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Watch: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. – “James Dean (Lyric Video)” (News) — Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
- Zola Jesus Expands Her North American Tour (News) — Zola Jesus
- alt-J - The Under the Radar Cover Story (Interview) — alt-J
- RIP Joe Cocker (News) — Joe Cocker