Jul 26, 2012 Web Exclusive
With their sophomore release Gossamer, Passion Pit proves to be the gift that keeps on giving. What started as the mission of mop-topped singer Michael Angelakos to wrap up a Valentine's Day musical box for a past paramour (the collection of songs that would become Passion Pit's 2008 Chunk of Change EP), the project has now become a global love affair out to steal hearts with a dashing and mysterious second album that, in many ways, bests the band's debut.
Gossamer opens strategically with two memorable singles, "Take a Walk" and "I'll Be Alright," both of which capitalize on the band's vast programming experimentation while also finding the courage to walk the tightrope of Angelakos' human experience. On this release, more than on 2009's Manners, the singer makes a purposeful effort to uncloak his lyrical narratives with a frankness that glows when out of the dark. The album, according to Angelakos, weaves the tale of the past few years, the ups and downs of his timeline abundant on billowing songs that are expressive without being exaggerated.
From exuberance ("Carried Away") to despair ("Cry Like a Ghost"), Passion Pit crest on their newfound vision quest while coasting through a suitcase of styles that impressively defies category. Not many albums could merge R. Kelly smooth jams ("Constant Conversations") with Frankie Valli's jukebox ("On My Way") without falling into comic relief or esoteric sampling, yet Passion Pit finds the perfect balance of being risky while still being lighthearted. Each song on Gossamer is a dance party staple for those paper lantern occasions that you only realize the significance of years later. Surely if Manners taught the band anything, it's how to posture an album that keeps your head held high. (www.passionpitmusic.com)
Author rating: 8/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Elle Fanning, Christina Hendricks and Nicolas Winding Refn on ‘The Neon Demon’ (Interview) —
- Stream Jenny Lewis Supergroup Nice As Fuck’s Surprise-Released Debut Album (News) — Nice as Fuck, Jenny Lewis
- Cat’s Eyes (Interview) — Cat’s Eyes
- Watch: Deerhoof - “The Devil and his Anarchic Surrealist Retinue” Video (News) — Deerhoof
- Thom Yorke, Paul Mccartney, Trent Reznor and More Lobby Congress for Gun Control (News) — Thom Yorke, Paul McCartney, Trent Reznor, Lady Gaga