Gravity the Seducer
Sep 27, 2011 Web Exclusive Photography by
2011 has been quite the year for Ladytron. In March, the British foursome put out their 10-year greatest hits collection, Best of Ladytron: 00-10, and now they're releasing their fifth album, the band's most grandiose and formal album yet. Not to worry: it's still Ladytron, with their upbeat synths and rosy vocals, but with Gravity, the band is veering into bigger soundscapes with more ethereal sounds and detours.
Opening the album with pure bliss, "White Elephant" is not only the first single from Gravity, but is also surely one of the band's highest achievements. The surreal song creates an ever-descending dreamscape about letting go and surrendering fully. Put your pistols/pencils down indeed. "Mirage" demonstrates how the band can craft a catchy pop song with their arms tied behind their backs; the song and even the album are reminiscent of the scenic pop of Duran Duran. That band has been known to include atmospheric instrumentals on their albums, and Ladytron also indulge with three of the album's twelve tracks sans vocals. One of the instrumentals is closing track "Aces High," a callback to the excellent Best of single "Ace of Hz," which is now a welcome part of the Gravity the Seducer song cycle.
With such song titles as "Melting Ice," "Moon Palace," and "90 Degrees," the album evokes vast landscapes that are contrasted with icily detached vocals and astute instrumentation. But with such a cool approach, the band remains emotionally chilly as well. There's a decade's worth of sophistication and maturity that has gone into building Ladytron's fortress of solitude, but maybe it's time to hear what it sounds like when it all melts down. (www.ladytron.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- The War on Drugs Share 11-Minute New Song – “Thinking of a Place” (News) — The War on Drugs
- Fargo (Season 3, Episode 1: “The Law of Vacant Places” Recap and Review) (Review) — Ewan McGregor
- Shout Out Louds Share Video for New Song, “Oh Oh,” and Announce Tour Dates (News) — Shout Out Louds
- Jonathan Rado Shares “Surgeonman” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Foxygen, Jonathan Rado, Our First 100 Days
- Blondie Share New B-Side – “The Breaks” (News) — Blondie