Happy to You
A touch of despair that a second album would never be forthcoming was starting to set in every time Miike Snow announced yet another tour in support of their self-titled debut. Its follow-up, Happy to You, carries over the clear lyrical intonations and inherent pop sensibility that established Miike Snow for trend watchers and the mainstream alike. Happy to You, however, doesn't boast such glaringly obvious singles as "Animal." Instead, the album is a whole, steady listen.
What stands out is the group's blatant acknowledgement of rave-y influences on "The Devil's Work" and "Paddling Out," which are propelled by early '90s Italian house piano riffs. Keys in the familiar jabbing style of Miike Snow stab through the humorously titled "God Help This Divorce" and are accompanied by a marching band snare drum on "The Wave." The snare—another identifiable characteristic of Happy to You—drives "Bavarian #1 (Say You Will)" with a militant rhythm.
It is the dance-based numbers that have stickability on this album. But guaranteed, when you leave a Miike Snow performance, what is going to be stuck in your head are the songs from their debut, not Happy to You. (www.miikesnow.com)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 4/10
- Real Estate, Naomi Pilgrim, Speedy Ortiz and More to Play Way Out West (News) — Way Out West 2014
- Watch: Parquet Courts – “Sunbathing Animal” Video (News) — Parquet Courts
- Watch: Solange Cover Kate Bush’s “Cloudbusting” At Coachella (News) — Kate Bush, Solange, Coachella 2014
- Fuck Buttons Announces Tour Dates (News) — Fuck Buttons
- Watch: Sky Ferreira – “I Blame Myself” Video (News) — Sky Ferreira