Jun 28, 2013
Issue #45 - Winter 2013 - Phoenix
Heck is Zander Cannon's story of a man with a portal to Hell itself in his house. Hector Hammarskjöld (aka "Heck") uses this portal as a business, with the idea of venturing into the underworld to retrieve or deliver messages to lost loves or other absent souls.
The cartooning is non-standard and, while excellent, takes a little getting used to. However, it ultimately serves the story, which turns out to be far creepier and a deeper examination into human nature than expected. Heck is a strapping man outfitted for adventure; the most interesting stuff lies in how the package doesn't necessarily portray the contents with any of the characters. This includes Elliot, his mummy-wrapped sidekick, who follows Heck into Hell, and is a bundle of tragedy and questions himself.
The mechanics of the journey, as well as how Heck communicates with his Earth-bound clientele, are really interesting and pay off in spades at the end. In fact, this is a book that good throughout, but has such a deft ending that it elevates the work even higher. (www.topshelfcomix.com)
Author rating: 8/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner, and James McAlister Announce Album, Share Video (News) — Bryce Dessner, James McAlister, Nico Muhly, Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner, and James McAlister, Sufjan Stevens
- Whitney Announce 12-Inch, Share Covers of Songs by Dolly Parton and Lion (News) — Whitney, Dolly Parton, Lion
- Multiple Maniacs (Review) — John Waters
- Premiere: The Proper Ornaments Cover The Jesus and Mary Chain’s “Deep One Perfect Morning” (News) — The Proper Ornaments
- Phoenix Announce World Tour, The Lemon Twigs and Whitney to Support Select Dates (News) — Phoenix, Whitney, The Lemon Twigs