Jun 28, 2013
Issue #45 - Winter 2013 - Phoenix
Heck is Zander Cannon's story of a man with a portal to Hell itself in his house. Hector Hammarskjöld (aka "Heck") uses this portal as a business, with the idea of venturing into the underworld to retrieve or deliver messages to lost loves or other absent souls.
The cartooning is non-standard and, while excellent, takes a little getting used to. However, it ultimately serves the story, which turns out to be far creepier and a deeper examination into human nature than expected. Heck is a strapping man outfitted for adventure; the most interesting stuff lies in how the package doesn't necessarily portray the contents with any of the characters. This includes Elliot, his mummy-wrapped sidekick, who follows Heck into Hell, and is a bundle of tragedy and questions himself.
The mechanics of the journey, as well as how Heck communicates with his Earth-bound clientele, are really interesting and pay off in spades at the end. In fact, this is a book that good throughout, but has such a deft ending that it elevates the work even higher. (www.topshelfcomix.com)
Author rating: 8/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- Watch: Tegan and Sara - “BWU” Video (News) — Tegan and Sara
- Oasis Announce Deluxe Reissue of “Be Here Now,” Share New Mix of “D’You Know What I Mean?” (News) — Oasis
- Keegan-Michael Key and Mike Birbiglia on “Don’t Think Twice” (Interview) — Keegan-Michael Key, Mike Birbiglia
- The Walkmen’s Hamilton Leithauser and Vampire Weekend’s Rostam Team Up for New Song - “A 1000 Times” (News) — Hamilton Leithauser, Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, Rostam Batmanlij, The Walkmen, Vampire Weekend
- Listen: Chairlift Share Brand New Song - “Get Real” (News) — Chairlift