CBS, Mondays 10/9 Central
Sep 23, 2013
Issue #47 - September/October 2013 - MGMT
The CBS thriller-drama Hostages starts off with an engaging and clever premise—an FBI agent (Dylan McDermott) takes the family of a surgeon (Toni Collette) hostage while he entices her to kill the President in a routine operation—but frankly it is hard to imagine how the series can carry on after the initial conflicts are fully explored and resolved. It might not be fair to judge a show based on its potential (or lack thereof), and after its first episode, Hostages seems to have a pretty good idea of where it is going. But that can still be a little nerve-wracking.
Other than a few other corny ideas (the whole Presidential assassination trope is a little cliché), Hostages delivers a compelling plot with enough tension to keep viewers interested for 45 minutes. The idea of seeing Toni Collette in another lead role on a weekly series (after United States of Tara) is exciting enough and Dylan McDermott is a perfectly cast foil for Collette's strong performance. (www.cbs.com/shows/hostages/)
Author rating: 6/10
- Listen: Tobias Jesso Jr. - “Without You” (feat. Danielle Haim) (News) — Tobias Jesso Jr.
- Listen: Blood Orange - “Delancey” (Demo) (News) — Blood Orange
- Watch: Florence and the Machine Debuts Songs From Her New Album Live (News) — Florence and the Machine
- Watch: Purity Ring on “Late Night” (News) — Purity Ring
- Supermoon EP (Review) — S. Carey