Feb 21, 2013 Web Exclusive
The second album from Denmark's Iceage opens with a delicious din. Throw on some headphones and lean into the dense swirl of crackling guitar, deep throb, and clattering drums of "Ecstasy." Had My Bloody Valentine incorporated economy and aggression into their mix circa Loveless they might have pounded out a similar trail.
You're Nothing is a punk record, though Iceage's broad creative palette pushes constantly at the limits of that term. Of a piece with 2011's New Brigade, it also serves as an encouraging progression. Blasting along at hardcore speed, "Coalition" has a counterpoint guitar line painting a melodic stripe over the roar. "Interlude" provides just that, though its sound effects and snare beats curiously sound more like a moment of tension building up to a military action.
At times the quartet drops into old-school hardcore, though they tend to incorporate some light and space, as where "Everything Drifts" opens up dimensionally with its guitar changes. "Morals" alternates a slow, pounding, piano-colored section with top-speed verses, suggesting a flair for the epic that could very well be explored further on future releases.
Even when ideas seem to be running thin with the plodding opening for "Burning Hand," the band suddenly switches gears for a bracing thrill ride. Considering how this band is just out of their teens with two accomplished albums under their belts, the only thing more interesting than watching these songs played live will be seeing how this band grows from here. (www.iceagecopenhagen.blogspot.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Virgin Suicide (Interview) — Virgin Suicide
- Listen: Lower Dens Cover Hall & Oates’ “Maneater” For “The Time Is Now” Charity Compilation (News) — Lower Dens, New Order, Sugar For Sugar, Scarlett Johansson, Daryl Hall and John Oates
- Listen: Phantogram - “You’re Mine” (News) — Phantogram
- Stream the New Album by Conor Oberst - “Ruminations” (News) — Bright Eyes, Conor Oberst
- Spiritualized Announce 20th Anniversary “Ladies and Gentlemen…” Show, Plan New Album for 2017 (News) — Spiritualized