Sep 10, 2009 Web Exclusive
A beacon of vitality in the over-cerebral math rock scene of the '90s, Polvo ostensibly broke up in 1997 after releasing the polarizing, Eastern-tinged Shapes, a maddeningly ambitious record distantly removed from the avant-garde dissonance of their early discography. They've re-emerged with In Prism, and as far as unheralded reunions go, this one's a smashing success. It's a sprawling, psychedelic masterwork, rife with knotty tangles of discordance and serpentine riffs.
And when the majesty of the simmering dustbowl reverie "A Link in the Chain" finally comes to a seething boil, it becomes obvious that this band is the gloriously arcane link in the chain between Pavement and Sonic Youth, two longtime champions of the act. (www.myspace.com/polvotheband)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Check Out Photos of St. Vincent, Elliphant, Kasabian and More at Open’er Festival (News) — Open’er Festival 2015: Day Four, Open’er Festival 2015, Elliphant, Hozier, Kasabian, Patrick The Pan, The Feral Trees, St. Vincent
- Vampire Weekend’s Ezra Koenig to Host Beats 1 Radio Show, First Episode to Air Sunday (News) — Vampire Weekend
- Watch: Full Father John Misty CBC Music Session in a Tiny Garage/Leather Shop (News) — Father John Misty
- Watch Fictionalized Daft Punk Spin “Da Funk” For First Time in Clip from “Eden” (News) — Daft Punk
- Listen: Public Image Ltd - “Double Trouble” (News) — Public Image Ltd.