May 14, 2010 Web Exclusive
Toronto's four-letter favorites return with another album of instrumental electro-pop. This is the first to feature their consistent touring lineup, rather than the revolving unofficial cast of previous efforts, and the formula remains largely the same: a live take on electronic music, with uptempo, heavily rhythmic backdrops underlying swaths of melody and noise. Oh, and that title, Latin? Well, let's just say don't look to the north for south-of-the-border flavors (or Greco-Roman antiquity one can presume).
Latin opens with the droning, blurry crescendo of "One," giving way to some serious disco-prog strut on "Red Lights"—said lights clearly signify that the party has started. Speaking of lighting, "Stay Lit" puts melody first, along with swaths of soft noise to reinforce its own title's directive, and may be the album's finest track. "Silva & Grimes" doles out the fahrvergnügen, very much a modern take on Neu! with drifting keyboard leads over a dead-steady rhythm section. And then there's "Pigs," some straight-up Jan Hammer cop show music. Close your eyes for a montage with helicopters and speedboats, acts of brass-balled heroism, cartoonish villains, buddy stories—is that a stunt double on drums?
Holy Fuck's musicianship is top-notch, and remains a cut above that of many working similar indie dance territory. They also beat 'em in the variety department, throwing down a fairly wide range of styles and textures. Is it jaw dropping? Worthy of actually muttering the words "holy fuck" in earnest? Nah. Well, maybe the drumming at times. But at the very least, it's worthy of a few shits and giggles. (www.holyfuckmusic.com)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- Under the Radar’s Black Friday Sale - 35% Off Subscriptions and 50% Off Back Issues (News) —
- Watch: Tame Impala – “The Less I Know the Better” Video (Fairly NSFW) (News) — Tame Impala
- Le Guess Who 2015 Day Three: Destroyer, Suuns and Jerusalem in My Heart and More (Review) — Le Guess Who? 2015: Day Three, Le Guess Who? 2015, Naive Set, Silver Ferns, Destroyer, Jerusalem In My Heart, SUNS, Bo Ningen
- Under the Radar’s Holiday Gift Guide 2015 Part 1: Graphic Novels and Books (News) —
- Dark Knight III: The Master Race #1 (Review) — DC Comics