Jun 14, 2012 Issue #41 - Yeasayer
Where the Ramones' punk mission and pop love provided a reliable end result, The Hives' output is driven by their unswerving affinity for garage rock. Even for their singles, the guitars and drums are always in full whammo mode, and singer Howlin' Pelle Almqvist's giddy bluster shows no sign of relenting.
Lex Hives, their fifth album in 15 years, has the guys armored up to continue the good guitar fight, and if they've established and mastered a formula of sorts at this point, it's always good to know that someone's perfectly willing to cut through the passing parade of musical trends like a diamond drill. The opening track, "Come On!," will be an ideal show starter, with Almqvist repeating the title while the band comes on like Cheap Trick circa '77 on steroids. "Go Right Ahead" continues their string of loud, catchy, radio-friendly singles.
Even when there are familiar echoes, as with "I Want More"—which resembles a newly kneaded take on Joan Jett's "I Love Rock 'n' Roll," it's a preferable move to, say, a power ballad. And if the lean pop rock of "Wait a Minute" sounds like fun, when they throw open the gates and blast full force with "Patrolling Days" the end result is like swimming over a waterfall: once you've caught a little air, you may feel like starting again at the top. (www.thehivesbroadcastingservice.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Watch: Tegan and Sara - “BWU” Video (News) — Tegan and Sara
- Oasis Announce Deluxe Reissue of “Be Here Now,” Share New Mix of “D’You Know What I Mean?” (News) — Oasis
- Keegan-Michael Key and Mike Birbiglia on “Don’t Think Twice” (Interview) — Keegan-Michael Key, Mike Birbiglia
- The Walkmen’s Hamilton Leithauser and Vampire Weekend’s Rostam Team Up for New Song - “A 1000 Times” (News) — Hamilton Leithauser, Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, Rostam Batmanlij, The Walkmen, Vampire Weekend
- Listen: Chairlift Share Brand New Song - “Get Real” (News) — Chairlift