ABC, Tuesdays 10/9 Central
Sep 24, 2013
A gang of gas station employees in Queens strikes it big in the state lottery, and they discover, of course, that with the promise of exponential wealth comes a deluge of moral ambiguity. Even with such a foreseeable conflict, Lucky 7 feels fresh and engaging, despite being based on the U.K.'s The Syndicate. The question is whether the show will live up to the opportunity it's awarded itself.
The backbone of any good series is the strength of its ensemble cast. Lucky 7 looks poised to deliver some praiseworthy performances from some of its more intriguing characters. Matt Long might be in the unfortunate position of a bland lead as the cash-strapped husband and father Matt Korzak, but delivers a subtly conflicted portrayal in the series' pilot. His criminally-minded brother Nicky (Stephen Louis Grush) is dubious, yet endearing. However, the standout performances come from Lorraine Bruce, reinventing her role in the original The Syndicate, Denise, and Luis Antonio Ramos, playing Antonio. Both characters are charming from the beginning, giving the audience someone to root for.
Lucky 7 might not be the runaway hit series of the new fall season, but it's compelling enough to stick around for a few episodes just to see where it's going. The concept is predictable, but not tired. The cast is relatable, and the dilemmas are thought-provoking without being heavy-handed. Lucky 7 has lighthearted moments, but it is more concerned with the characters' struggles rather than setting up jokes, sometimes to its own detriment. Lucky 7 asks bigger questions about loyalty, morality, and luck, without losing focus on character drama, but it's too soon to see if it actually has any answers. (www.abc.go.com/shows/lucky-7)
Author rating: 6/10
- Midlake Announce “The Trials of Van Occupanther” Reissue, Share Unreleased Song “The Fairest Way” (News) — Midlake
- Connan Mockasin and LA Priest’s Sam Dust Team Up as Soft Hair, Announce Album and Share Video (News) — Soft Hair, Connan Mockasin, LA Priest
- Watch: Ultimate Painting - “Song for Brian Jones” Video (News) — Ultimate Painting
- Watch: Trentemøller - “Redefine” Video (NSFW) (News) — Trentemøller
- Watch: Boxed In - “Forget” Video (News) — Boxed In